1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New motherboard old hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jenkco, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jenkco

jenkco Thread Starter

Hi
    I purchased a foxconn mother board bundle into which I intended to place my old hard drive cd rom, cd writer and dvd writer in.
    I first formated my hard drive while it was in my old machine, then placed it along with my cd rom into the new case and instaled windows X/P.
    I then went on to place my cd and dvd writers into the new machine one as master the other as slave, I also slaved the cd rom off to the hard drive. When I rebooted the machine windows would not recognise my hard drive I disconnected both slaves setting the hard drive back to master but only the cd writer is being reconised in post and the bios.

2. replay

replay

put the harddrive as master on its own... in ide 1 on the motherboard (at end of cable)
    put the dvd burner as master ide 2 on the mobo then either the cd burner or the cd rom as slave
    make sure all cables are snug and power plugs are in good

3. jenkco

jenkco Thread Starter

I have set up Hard drive, CD writer and DVD writer as you suggested and have discarded CD Rom but am still getting a message that no drive found when booting up also a message that windows file missing or corrupt.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go back and recheck your connections; both the ide and the pw/molex. It is very possible you knocked/pulled something loose while in the case.

Recheck jumper settings as well.

I agree that you should keep optical drives on one channel and hd on the other.

It would also help if you posted your exact specs.

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Install only your newest optical. Does the HD show when it first posts and in the BIOS?

6. jenkco

jenkco Thread Starter

The only way that I could get it to boot to windows was to set the hard drive to master and the cd writer to slave on ide 1. I could see both drives in the bios but not on post, getting message no drives found.
    I then set the dvd writer to master and placed it on ide 2 which I could see when the machine first posted but not in the bios.
    I let windows boot up and looked in control panel where all drives where present.
    I tried cd's in both drives and they loaded so i'll think I will leave it at that unless anyone has any suggestions.

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You should re-do the whole install from scratch including a format. Why you would try to format in one machine and move the HD is beyond me.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post your exact system specs. It sounds to me like you have a board with multiple controllers.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/682834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice