1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New motherboard, old hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fastnewt, May 21, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Fastnewt

Fastnewt Thread Starter

This is a similar situation as described in the locked post talking about doing a non clean install of windows after replacing the motherboard. The main difference is that Dell did a clean windows install on my original HHD during a warranty replacement of a faulty motherboard. Below is a post I made on another site in the hope of getting some help. Please excuse my very basic knowledge of computers when trying to answer my question.
    I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop as my main photo editing device. I was quickly disappointed in its performance despite being sold that this was my best option at the price point. The 8th gen intel i5, 8gb of ram and 2tb 5400rpm HDD was not up to the task of quickly processing large photo files. I replaced the standard hd with a 2tb SSD and was finally happy with the performance of my lap top.

A few weeks ago my computer shut down to an immediate black screen and would not start up again. I sent it back to Dell for warranty but decided it was best to return it with the original HDD. It was found to have a faulty motherboard and in/out board. Both were replaced and the original hdd was wiped and returned to factory settings. Now that i have the computer back i would like to reinstall the SSD and get back to work. Unfortunately despite being told otherwise, the computer will not boot up with the ssd installed. All that happens now is it goes to a blue screen and notifies me that a problem has occured and that windows needs to restart. I was told that the old windows license would continue to work and i had nothing special to do but that does not appear to be the case.

What are the steps I need to follow to be able to install my ssd and continue my work where i left off before the crash? I'm hoping this can be done easily without having to reclone hard drives or risk losing the settings and data i had on the ssd.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Josh

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi Josh and welcome to TSG.

Please post the laptop's Service Tag, should be on a label underneath, that will tell us the exact model you have.

3. Fastnewt

Fastnewt Thread Starter

JX634L2

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice