new motherboard problem - windows 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tonymaddux

I replaced the motherboard, memory, CPU, power supply, basically everything except the case, HDD and floppy on my computer. Biostar M7VIG motherboard, Duron CPU, 512 MB of RAM. After installation of the parts I installed the drivers for the onboard graphics card and onboard sound card. After that, When Windows 98 boots up, it detects one of the plug and play devices, then I get the white error message titled "msgsrv32 "an error has occurred in your program...". Clicking 'ignore' does nothing, I have to click close, then the 'This program has performed an illegal operation" message comes up, clicking 'details' here gives me the following " msgsrv32 caused a GPF in module COMMCTRL.DLL".

I thought perhaps the sound card driver might be causing this but couldn't fix it. I have restored the registry with a copy that was made before the trouble started, and I believe I have removed most of the drivers that were installed after the new parts were put in.
I put my old motherboard back in because Microsoft had some information on similar problems that mentioned a hardware failure could cause similar error messages, and I got the same error message at the same point as before. So I think I can rule out a hardware problem.

Is there any way to get back to before I installed the drivers that seem to be causing this problem? Then I can install them one by one until the troublemaker is found? I have been without a computer at home for a month now. I know I could wipe the hard drive and do a clean install, but I have several gig of pictures I need to keep, so that’s not a good option.

crjdriver

I checked biostar's site; there are two audio drivers listed for your board. One for win98 and one for win98/me/2k/xp. Which one did you install and have you tried the other one?

You are installing the mb / chipset drivers first correct? In addition you need to update to the latest directx version for win9x if you expect the drivers to work.

Install in this order.
1 Install os
2 Update directx
3 Install chipset / mb drivers
4 Install audio driver
5 Install video driver last

Now backup your system and load apps, etc.

SirKenin

Banned
Actually it's

OS
Chipset/mb drivers
DirectX
video
audio

If you're in XP it's

OS
Chipset/mb drivers
video
audio
Windows update for DirectX.

crjdriver

SirKenin said:
Actually it's

OS
Chipset/mb drivers
DirectX
video
audio

If you're in XP it's

OS
Chipset/mb drivers
video
audio
Windows update for DirectX.

Depends on the board; nforce boards MUST have dx installed first or the chipset drivers will not configure themselves correctly.

crjdriver

As long as he installs in the order I posted, he will not have a problem with any board. It is easier that way than trying to explain with each type of board ie via, nforce.

SirKenin

Banned
I see what you are saying (I think), but you don't have to explain to him about the right way for a bunch of different boards. You only have to explain to him one way as he only has one board, and on every other board but the nFORCE it is the way I posted.

tonymaddux

Still having the above-mentioned problem. No conflicts appear in device manager, nor does a sound card. I removed the drivers from the system. Still, when windows starts, I get the window saying 'new device detected' - unknown device - and then the msgsrv32 error message comes up. details show the GPF in module COMMctrl.dll at 0001:00000239, although once in a while the error says it is in 0001:0000023e. does this help anyone by suggesting where the problem might be?

tonymaddux

I just got past the error by deleting the contents of windows/inf/other. Now I will see if I can get the thing to work properly.

Where'd you find "windows/inf/other"?
How will I delete all its contents?
Sorry for being rude.. As you can see, I'm having the same problem as you are.
Can you tell me specifically your procedures on how you overcome this problem?
thanks a lot. :)

mrss

Kayin said:
Where'd you find "windows/inf/other"?
How will I delete all its contents?
The INF folder is a hidden folder.
-Open the WINDOWS folder and left click VIEW > FOLDER OPTIONS
-Then select the VIEW tab
-Click on SHOW ALL FILES under HIDDEN FILES and APPLY

You should make yourself a copy of the inf/other folder in the event that you need it later if your plans go awry. Those are driver files. OP probably had an incorrect driver there?

And when done, you may want to make those hidden files non visible again.

Thanks MRSS.. that sounds very easy. I'll post again if something goes wrong. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online