1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Motherboard problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saiyuki, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saiyuki

saiyuki Thread Starter

i just upgraded to an Asus A7V880 motherboard. Everything is installed properley, and I've installed the drivers that came with the CD.

Everything is fine, other than when I go to play any heavy 3d game such as call of duty 2 or world of warcraft.

It loads up, sometimes plays for 5 mins or so, then a black screen pops up, and the pc restarts. Sometimes the ATi VPU recover kicks in, but most of the time just restarts.

I don't see why this is happening, I have the latest drivers for everything except 5.12 for my ATi 9800pro as I don't like the control centre.

I have 1GB ram, and athlon 2700+

Plleeease help. I don't think its due to overheating, as the processor and motherboard are about 30-40 degrees, and I have a new case with 2 fans inside...

2. norton850

norton850

I hate that! You put together a new system and it doesn't do what you want it to do. We have a system with a very similar set up to yours. No problems with COD2 (of course you have to make some sacrifices with bells and whistles). We're out in the middle of nowhere and use Satellite so no online gaming for us.
    Make sure that you have the have latest chipset drivers for your MB although I really doubt that's the problem. What kind of power supply do you have? It's worth trying the 5.13 drivers. Download them without the control center.

3. brite750

brite750

since you say it happens when gaming it could be a driver or hardware problem. When you play games your gfx card heats up, your cpu heats up, mobo etc. you need to get temps when this happens. You could try booting into bios when this happens to get temps there or d/l Everest from majorgeeks site,, or Speed fan, etc.. It also might be too weak of a psu to maintain required wattage and stable voltage to devices that are strained by gaming. It could even be ram, use memtest to verify your memory has no errors, so in short, need more info.

4. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

you need to be 100% sure on the tempreture on the cpu i dont know where one is right now but you need to find a dianostic program that will put a computing load on your processor and at the same time watch the temp indicator

may be driver issues/ directx. after that it could be how much juice your powersupply can put out or ram issues.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you don't have an overheating issue, perhaps you have marginal memory. Try one of these tests overnight and see if it runs error-free.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice