New motherboard problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bmapc

A few weeks ago my system was hit with a power surge which blew out my motherboard. Thinking it was time for an upgrade anyway I got a new MB, processor, fan, RAM and power supply. The problem is that I can't seem to get the new system running correctly. When I turn on the computer everything comes on but I get the following error:

CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded.
Warning! CPU has been changed or CPU Ratio changed fail.
Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit!

Press F8 to Enable System Configuration
Press F9 to Select Booting Device after POST
Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP
05/23/2006-P4M800P-8237-6A7L6B09C-00

At this point the keyboard is unresponsive and pressing any key has no effect. I've tried a different keyboard with the same result. I have also tried to reset the CMOS jumper and restart, but I get the same result. Any suggestions are appreciated!

dustyjay

Jay
Did you try using the original installation of windows with the new motherboard and cpu? If so, unless the motherboard and cpu is exactly the same as the old one your windows installation will not work. You would need to do a clean install of windows and install the motherboard and system drivers for the new equipment.

Gonna need more info.What kind of motherboard,processor,ram,PS.What about hard drive?What kind of case are you using?Reinstall windows? Sounds like maybe not configured right in bios.

bmapc

I did not try to reinstall Windows. How do I do a clean install from this point? Can I just put the Windows XP CD in and let it boot from there? Will I lose anything on my hard drive? Thanks.

bmapc

MB - Biostar P4M800 Pro M7 775
CPU - Intel PD805 775 2.66G
RAM - Ultra 1G DDR2
PS - Allied 350 Watt ATX
Systemax case - sorry that's all I know about that

Normally you do a clean install.You will lose everything on the old drive.If you have files you dont want to lose then you could get a new hard drive for the operating system and make old drive a slave drive.Onother option would be to put old drive in another computer as slave drive then back up files and then do a clean install.Or option 3,do a repair installation,salvage files then do a clean install.If power surge blew out motherboard files or even hard drive could be damaged.

bmapc

I have another hard drive that has WIN 98SE installed, but no important files. If I swap that drive into this system, how do I initiate the clean install?

If it was me as cheap as hard drives are I would buy a new one.Depends on what the drive with 98 is.If its an old 10 or 20 gig,5400,I wouldnt want it as my primary drive.

bmapc

The drive with WIN 98 is actually better than what I had. I've been planning on adding it as a slave drive but hav not gotten around to it. I have no problem making it my primary.

Well I would install it then do a clean install.I wouldnt hook up other drive as slave till done with new fresh install.Have to go into bios and set to boot from cd.Put in XP cd and format hard drive,install windows then all the drivers.

bmapc

OK. I took out the original HD and swapped in the one loaded with WIN 98, but I'm still hung up at the same place. I tried putting in the WIN XP CD to do a clean install but it didn't read the disc. I also had an old floppy WIN 98 startup disc that I put in (since the HD had WIN 98 anyway - I just wanted to see if I could get it going). Same result - I wind up back at the error message and the keyboard does not work.

Is it possible that I got a bad MB? Maybe the problem is with the keyboard port?

Its possable.That motherboard dont have a good track record.I'd strip the system down to 1 stick of memory,disconnect optical drives and hard drive and see if can boot to bios.I'd think about a higher quality motherboard if you determine its bad.Everytime i have bought a cheap motherboard or componets i regretted it.

bmapc

I sent the MB back and received another, brand new one. When I installed that MB I wind up back at the same place, except when I first plugged everything in, the keyboard worked long enough to get me to the Setup screen (1 keystroke), but then all keys stopped working.

So if the problem is not the MB, could it be the new RAM? What about the processor? Since I bought those at the same time that I bought the new MB, I still have a chance to send them back if they are defective.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online