1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new motherboard/psu problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davidkunttu, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidkunttu

davidkunttu Thread Starter

just recently i bought a new motherboard and a new psu to solve some of my more difficult computer problems. got them both installed and was happy to see something show up on the screen. it only lasted for about half a second however and then the board started making some crazy beeping, alternating high and low beeps that do not end and last about a second each. i cant find anywhere what these beeps mean, i've reseated video and ram, checked processor and i am at a complete loss.

motherboard:
    epox ep-8k9a71

psu:
    coolmax 450w

also a little note, if i reboot the system nothing shows on the monitor and it goes straight to beeping but if i take out the motherboard battery and let it sit for a couple minutes and then put it back in and reboot it pops the bios on the screen for just a second like the first time. any ideas?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you know th emake of bios
    here is a site to decode the beeps

http://www.bioscentral.com/

also have you got the fan correctly fittrd onto the CPU and not the wrong way round.

there (i cant remember which way round) is a lower ridge along one side of CPU and that matches the fan mounting.
    if yu have the fan the wrong way round it does not fit on the cpu correctly -no thermal contact CPU get hot - alarms go and PC switches OFF

are all the components - memory, video etc from old PC compatable with new motherboard

3. n2gun

n2gun

It is possible that it is detecting a potential heat problem. Is the cpu fans spinning?? Also check as it may be possible that the cpu fan needs to be hooked to the motherboard. Also check the wiring on the switches for startup and reset. It may be something is not wired correctly to the board.

4. davidkunttu

ill check the cpu fan, everything is compatible, ill get a list up here but for now i am only running the motherboard, video, ram and processor

5. davidkunttu

the fan is on right, i dont know what could be the problem, i cant find anything on that beep code list, i have awardbios

i just turned it on again and noticed it said something like, "display switch set incorrectly" so i guess i will try to find that on the board and fix it. any idea where that is?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the fan is on the correct way round - matching the groove

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to check.

1 HSF Pull the board and take a close look at how the fan is mounted. The low area of the hsf must go over the rise on the socket. If it is installed the other way around, it will over heat.

2 Reseat video card

3 Reseat ram

4 Now we will try and get a post outside of the case. This checks your mounting to see if there are any grounds. Place the mb on the box it came in; do not use the anti-static bag. Connect your ps [you most likely will have to pull the ps also], and your monitor to the video card. Have just one ram chip installed. Now find the power switch leads on the mb and short across the two prongs with a small screwdriver.

If it posts now, you will need to check your mounting VERY carefully. If it fails to post now, you will need to swap components with know good units ie ps, cpu, ram, video card.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW those are good quality parts. At least you stayed away from ecs / pcchips ect. Coolmax ps are also of good quality.

11. davidkunttu

ok so i took it out and set it up on the box it came in and it did the exact same thing. so i tried a different motherboard i had laying around, a gigabyte ga-7n400, and it gave me the same beeping but no video. i also tried other sticks of ram and a different video card, both of which are brand new. soooo i have no idea what to do now, any ideas?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried the old ps? I sounds like the only part you have not swapped.

13. davidkunttu

just tried it, same thing.

edit: just a note, i have not tried another processor as i do not have another processor....

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Seems it has to be the CPU as you've pretty much ruled everything else out. If you can try for warranty on it.

15. davidkunttu

well i was hoping it wouldnt come to that seeing as i've already spent enough money on this problem as it is, but it's worth a shot...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice