1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Motherboard - USB wont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Charles Vitale, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles Vitale

Charles Vitale Thread Starter

AMD processor with K8NHA Grand motherboard got zapped by lighting and wouldn't power up until I replaced the exact motherboard. The system came back exactly as it was configured before the lightning strike except I cannot get the 4 onboard and 2 front panel USB ports to function. The onboard USB ports send power to the devices (USB mouse for example) until Windows XP starts, then the port fails. Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

Ps. I did replace the power supply at first but returned it after finding the new motherboard let me power up with the old power supply. Any chance that the original power supply got slightly damaged by the lightning. Meanwhile, all the hard discs and optical drives function fine. And....if it happens to be the power supply, can I replace this 350 watt with a 400 watt for more power?

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

Lightning could have damaged anything, icluding the PS. But from what you described, it does not seem likely the the PS is a problem. Since USB works until reaching Windows, it seems likely that the problem is in the OS. Check the device manager for any !s or ?s in the usb section, and look for any messages that might indicate the problem. I've never tried it, but I assume that the USB devices can be uninstalled there and reinstalled after a reboot, like other devices.. You might also try a repair installation, but I usually do this as a last resort, because it tends to cause other problems that are annoying to fix. You might also check with usbman.com to see if they have anything that would help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice