1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Motherboard wont boot!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rotz, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rotz

Rotz Thread Starter

Hello! I've just bought a complete new computer in parts. I have an Epox EP-9NDA3J motherboard, AMD 64 3700+ San Diego, G.Skill 1Gb D400, Seagate 120Gb ATA100 and ATI X700 256mb AGP. All enclosed in a A-Top XBlade case with 450W PSU. I get them all and begin construction. CPU sits in, heatsink, video, memory, HD, CD/DVD. Now i start making connections, cd/dvd and HD IDE to the motherboard. Heatsink fan to the board. Case powerbutton to the board. Now i add power to everything. HD check, cd/dvd check, video check, 20pin and 4pin for mobo main power check. Push the button and NOTHING HAPPENS! OMG i think i have a dead board. I rip it all appart and try a bare boot, with just the video, memory and cpu connected. I add power and jump the "power on" pins and still nothing. Again i rip it all appart, reset the CMOS and remove the battery. Put it all back on and jump the pins and again nothing happens. I checked my PSU with a multimeter and its in working order. Please someone help me! Have i missed anything or is this just a dead mother board?!

2. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

Pull the board out of the case and try the bare boot with it sitting on cardboard or something. Anything?

3. Rotz

Rotz Thread Starter

HUZZAH! I pulled the board, and put it on the static bag it came with. Bare booted it and it works!! I litterally jump up and punch the air. Put it back in the case get it all hooked up, push the button and nothing!! Ive heard stories about how some boards need a static shield behind it. If i put the static bag between the board and case will that work? Or will the heat from the chipset just melt it?

4. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

Make sure when you secure the board in there that nothing is touching that shouldn't be and such. I had to reinstall my sisters board twice because of a screw.

5. Rotz

Rotz Thread Starter

Revoke my GEEK title now! Would it help if I used the gold mounting posts? YES IT WOULD!

6. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

Hehe. Sounds like it would help, enjoy your new computer :)

7. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

A word of warning for the future. DONT boot a motherboard on an antistatic bag, use cardboard or a sheet of wood or something similar. Antistatic bags are conductive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice