1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrPenguino69, Dec 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrPenguino69

MrPenguino69 Thread Starter

If I want to uograde my motherboard and cpu, what will i have to do with my os, i have it on my hd. can i just boot from that or do i need to use somthing else to install window?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If this is a retail version of windows, you can clean install using your install key. If this is an oem version ie what comes on a dell, hp, whatever, then you need to purchase a new windows lic. OEM type lic live and die with the original hardware. You change the motherboard and you need a new lic or a new copy of windows.

3. MrPenguino69

what if it was originaly window 7 that got updated to 10. will the product key for the windos 7 work with the windos 10?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With your original motherboard NOT with a different board. You do not need a key to install win10. You need a key to activate win10 for the first time. Each install after that will auto activate as long as you do not change hardware.
    If you are upgrading a dell, hp, etc; you need a new key.
    Is this a big box case you are attempting to use ie was this a hp, dell, etc? If so, you may need a new case as well. Dell, hp, etc stuff is proprietary that is it is made to the mfg's standards NOT industry standards. A standard atx motherboard may or may not fit a dell case; pci slots may or may not line up, pw supply may or may not work.

5. MrPenguino69

roger that

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To answer the original question, there is a guide at the top of the forum for swapping boards without a clean install. If you follow all of the steps of the guide, you will not need to clean install. You will however have to activate and an oem key is not going to activate with a different motherboard. So yes, you can reuse your operating system however you still need to purchase an install key. Most of the time most people would just clean install however that is up to you.

7. MrPenguino69

where can i get a key for it at the best price?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Probably newegg. There are a LOT of so called cheap install keys advertised for sale. Most of the time these do not work. Just purchase one from a reputable seller. I just checked the egg and they have win10 pro for $149 and home for $109.
    https://www.newegg.com/Operating-Systems/SubCategory/ID-368

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice