1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by commander, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. commander

commander Thread Starter

I want to upgrade my PC by getting a mew MB and processor. I currently have a Gigabyte ATX MB I want to get an ASUS ATX board, my question is will the holes to mount the new board match up with the holes in the current board?

I want to use my existing hard drive and video card, Are there likely to be any problems with doing this? Any advice on setting the BIOS, I've never done that from scratch, only made the odd changes.

Peter
    UK

2. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the board in your case.

If you just have a regular IDE hard drive you should have no problem, if you are using S-ATA, make sure your new board supports it. If you have an AGP video card, make sure your board supports the correct voltage for it.

You shouldn't need to fiddle with the BIOS as it is already preloaded with default settings, 90% of which you should leave alone. You should only change small things like power options, boot order, etc.

3. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Depending on the operating system and motherboard chipset, you may need to reinstall Windows. Other than that it should be pretty painless.

4. commander

commander Thread Starter

Thanks guys

Carl, Good to know that the board will fit OK, the disks are regular IDE drives not SATA, I'll look into the video card voltage, and am reassured regarding the BIOS.

Jack, you frightened me with thoughts of a reinstall of Windows. that would mean that I would have to re install all my applications wouldn't it?

I am currently running Windows XP Home SP2, the board & processor I am thinking of are the ASUS A8V and AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Please tell me I will not have to do that.

Regards

Peter
    UK

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may still need more then just a mobo and CPU. Most likely you will need new RAM as well. Maybe even a new power supply. A power supply thats a few years old may not cut it for a AMD 64 system and you'll need DDR RAM for a new motherboard, preferably PC3200 for a AMD 64 CPU for best performance.

List all your current hardware.

Windows will almost certainly have a fit when you try to boot in on the new motherboard. You will probably need to boot from the Windows XP CD and do a Repair Installation of Windows in order to get it to boot up.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    ditto the repair install. It will replace any references to windows loaded drivers thaat may exist.

7. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

yep repair install, or format

8. commander

commander Thread Starter

Hi, this started as a very simple question as to whether a new MB would physically fit in my case, but as so often in life it seems it’s not that simple. I guess that’s why I come here for advice.

I should have said that I already have a new power supply, 480W, and would expect to buy new PC3200 memory. I would move the graphics card over (Nvidia AGP FX5200), but I had hoped that I could just plug in the hard drive Maxtor 40GB IDE 7200 rev. If I have to do a Repair Installation of Windows does that mean that I will have to reload all my applications?

Peter
    UK

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, a Repair is pretty much an over-the-top installation thats keeps your data, programs, and most of your settings. Its required, not always though, to rebuild the Hardware Abstract Layer for Windows due to significany changes in the hardware.

10. commander

commander Thread Starter

Thanks Triple6 this is looking encouraging, one final question, I read somewhere that if you have SP2 installed as I do, then you cannot do a repair. Is this correct, or are there some extra steps involved?

Peter

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No thats not correct at all. You can do a repair just as you normally would. The repair will however remove any and all service packs applied to Windows; you will need to run Windows Update to re-download SP2 and any subsequent updates.

12. dipstick01

dipstick01

I was running AMD Athlon1900xp on a MSI K7t266 pro2 motherboard and I have just upgraded to an Asus P5P800 with an Pentium4 LGA775 3.0Ghz CPU, 1GB Geil DDR PC3200 ram, 420w PSU and Gecube Radeon 9600Pro 256mb Graphics card.

Luckily I backed up all my files I wanted to keep before starting. Install went smooth and all plugged together great, I had to up the power supply as the newer boards and cards need more power. I put more fans into the old case as a new case is further down the track.
    I powered it up for the first time and all posted great then the blue screen of death appeared...I thought Microsoft said that was no more in XP... After trying to do a repair install and many other things I could think of I ended up reformatting and starting the main drive from scratch. It was about time I did this anyway as it has been about a year since I reformatted.

Everything is now updated and cleaned up and I love the new machine.

Moral of the story is Backup anyway, always backup.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice