1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new, mysterious W2000 boot message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sean Olivers, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sean Olivers

Sean Olivers Thread Starter

When I reboot, I get a screen (after "memory check" etc, but before log-in/password) which asks me if I want to run
    "W2000 Pro Setup" or just "W2000".
    If I don't enter anything, in 3 seconds it starts the "W2000 Pro Setup" by default, which takes a long time and asks alot of questions about repairing, etc, and seems like it's re-installing or repairing W2000.
    Is it trying to repair, or what?
    Also, I suspect my current installation is messed up in some way or another. (see my previous post on "AARGH Windows components")
    Should I attempt a "clean install"? How do I do that?
    What does that mean anyway? Will it wipe everything from my HD? I've already removed most of my important personal data, games, etc, but will a "clean install" require me to reinstall ALL of my Apps like DSL, Scanner, printer, etc...??? PLEASE HELLLP!

:confused:

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

Yes a clean install will require you to re-install all apps. A truely clean install involves deleting your partitions and recreating them to remove any stubborn bugs/viruses/worms and trojans. It is a pain, but with some systems it is the only way to recover your sanity. If you have run virus scans and installed all the latest updates from MS, and the system is still asking to repair, then you can try the repair install or perform a parallel install of 2k in a new folder (winnt2). Install all the same updates and service packs that you have on the original install, then copy the system32 files (files only, not sub-folders) and the files in the system32\drivers folder from the new over the old. Reboot to check the original version for funtionality and if it works, then you don't have to re-install the apps. Just edit the boot.ini file in c: (change the read-only attribute first) to point to the original as the default OS and you are ready to go. You can then delete the new version if you need the space, or keep it as an alternative good install that you may need again in the future.

3. Sean Olivers

Sean Olivers Thread Starter

Thanks, Rawmeat. I'll give it a shot.
    I also just ran a drive test/disk scan and discovered my HDisk is "damaged by shock" (i.e. physical jolt)
    Is this permanent damage? Do I need to replace it? I couldn't find a direct answer to this question.
    I'm guessing/assuming I can totally wipe it and it will run fine after that, correct?

4. rawmeat

rawmeat

Maybe? I have never seen one "damaged by shock". It may simply define the bad sectors and go on running, but I would be wary. Do you know how it got rattled? Harddrives are cheap, relatively, and I might get a new one and use this one as a second drive. then you can save all the data and you may still be able to ghost the c partition and put it on the new HD.

Just a thought!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice