1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Network Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dave20688, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dave20688

Dave20688 Thread Starter

Yeah, I have a new problem. My wireless PC says its connected to the wireless network at 54 Mbps and says there is an excellent connection, but it won't connect to the internet at all. The internet connection had been fine, but now it's completely gone. I didn't change any settings or anything, and the wireless seems to be connected to the router fine, just like it always has been, but now it's messed up. It has sometimes gone down like this for a half hour or so for some reason, but it always comes back. However it's been down all day today. Im not sure of the problem. The wired PC's connection is fine.

Also, its not a firewall problem and both firewalls are enabled on both PCs. Everything seems to be connecting to the router properly, so I'm not sure why it might be doing this.

Next,, I try to repair "1394 Connection", but it says it cannot because TCP/IP is not enabled. I'm not sure if or where I ever enabled this since I havent changed any settings since the internet was working before.

Lastly, in IP config in command prompt, it says under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection "Media State...Media Disconnected". Im not sure if its been like this, but could this be part of the problem? I woudn't think so this is a wireless PC. Thanks for any help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You probably don't have anything connected to the 1394 ("FireWire") connection.

The media disconnected just confirms that you don't have an ethernet cable between the PC and anything else.

Do the following to determine (1) if you are communicating with the router, (2) have internet access and (3) if DNS is working. You can do the same on an ethernet connected PC to see what the results should look like.

If you have encryption enabled, try w/o encryption until you get a successful session.

First determine if the problem PC is really communicating with the router when it claims to be connected.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
    ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
    2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
    3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

3. Dave20688

Dave20688 Thread Starter

Yep, I got nothing but replies, yet still can't connect. The network however says 170 packets sent, and only 36 recieved.

4. Dave20688

Dave20688 Thread Starter

Well I actually figured out that even though Norton Antivirus wasn't open, it was blocking access to the web for some reason. So everything is back to normal, and thanks for your help!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Norton Antivirus? Not firewall or security suite?

Glad you got it working!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice