1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New network problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jm123ced, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jm123ced

jm123ced Thread Starter

I'm trying to network my two desktops. Both have Windows XP. Two new pci cards but from different mfg's. I keep getting "Cable not connected or hardware not turned on", errors. I pulled both Lan cards out and looking at the R45 connect ports, I find that one has only 4 wires in the connector and the other has 8. Is that my connection problem? Bad card??
    Appreciate any input....jm123

2. Del

Del

What's the name/model number on the one with only 4 wires on it?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are only four active wires on a NIC, unless it's a gigahertz copper NIC.

FWIW, your NIC not connected could be an incompatibility or a grounding issue on one of the PC's. I recommend you get a $10-15 hub and not try to use the crossover cable, which I have seen fail more than once through no fault of the person attempting to use it. The hub works every time, crossover cables don't.

4. Del

Del

Johnwill hit it on the nose there, I would definatelly go with router or hub in favor of the Crossover.
    That way you don't have to have a host computer running all the time to use the other machine and runs much smoother..

5. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

If this is true, why do Cat 5 cables have 8 wires in them? Seems like I could have saved a lot of copper by wiring my house with 4-wire cables instead of 8! They'd be thinner, weigh less, and presumably have been cheaper....

6. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Cat5 wires have 8 wires for several reasons. First, you can use one or two of the spare wire pairs for a telephone connection. There is an adapter you can buy that will separate the 8 wire RJ-45 connector into a 4 wire RJ-45 and a 2 or 4 wire telephone jack.

As well, if your Cat5 wiring in your house ever fails, the RJ-45 connector can be rewired with one of the spare sets of wires. This a lot easier than ripping out the cables from your walls and replacing them.

I'm guessing, but that 8 wire NIC might also have a modem capability. I don't know.

7. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

Hmm, good points. Okay, I feel better now.:)

8. Del

Del

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice