New Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

delke

Hi, I'm looking to setup a new network with 3 VLANs. With 1 of those VLANS able to see both the other 2 VLANs. I'm also going to need it to be over 2 switches as the location of the computers are in different locations. What I'm looking for is a recommendation on what hardware I should buy or what I should make sure the switches/routers have. Thanks.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Technically, if you are allowing one VLAN to "see" the other 2, the other 2 can "see" that VLAN too. The only way traffic moves in and out of a VLAN is via a layer 3 device (router). To control traffic flow between VLANs you have to either use ACLs (access control list) applied to the VLAN virtual interfaces on the layer 3 switch you'll need to use, or you'll need to insert a firewall. Adding a firewall would provide better and more secure traffic control between VLANs. But you're adding yet another network device.

How far apart are the two locations?

delke

Technically, if you are allowing one VLAN to "see" the other 2, the other 2 can "see" that VLAN too. The only way traffic moves in and out of a VLAN is via a layer 3 device (router). To control traffic flow between VLANs you have to either use ACLs (access control list) applied to the VLAN virtual interfaces on the layer 3 switch you'll need to use, or you'll need to insert a firewall. Adding a firewall would provide better and more secure traffic control between VLANs. But you're adding yet another network device.

How far apart are the two locations?
Thanks for the replay, I understand that if the one VLAN can "see" the other 2, the other 2 can "see" that VLAN, but want I don't want is for the other 2 to be able to "see" each other.

The two locations are about 50 meters part from each other with one cat6 cable between them.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thanks for the replay, I understand that if the one VLAN can "see" the other 2, the other 2 can "see" that VLAN, but want I don't want is for the other 2 to be able to "see" each other.

The two locations are about 50 meters part from each other with one cat6 cable between them.
The same thing I said above still applies. To control network access, you have to use ACLs which is a feature of layer 3 switches or insert a firewall and use ACLs there.

Because they're only 50 meters apart, then you would use a layer 3 switch at one end and a layer 2 switch at the other. If you want to insert a firewall, then it would be a firewall and layer 2 switch at one end and a layer 2 switch at another. The layer 2 switches for both scenarios have to be managed switches.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online