1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Notebook - Wireless Questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EarsToVanGogh, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EarsToVanGogh

EarsToVanGogh Thread Starter

Hi folks.

I am really uninformed about how networking works, so I hope that you can point me in the right direction.

Here's the situation:

Upstairs (not my computer/modem/router) there is a desktop computer with a cable modem and router which allows me to use my desktop computer downstairs (the basement, as a matter of fact). A hole was drilled and the cable, etc. was just shoved down here for me to hook up to.

Now, I am getting a notebook computer. (It is the Toshiba Satellite A15-S157.) It has built-in wireless capabilities.

How can I get on the internet with this notebook? I will have it right next to my desktop computer. I can't change the equipment upstairs, but is there something that I can hook up to make it possible to run my desktop and my notebook? I don't need to be wireless with the notebook because I will be sitting right here anyway. Can I unhook it, leave with it, come back and hook back up again?

Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Buy a 4 port Wireless access point, and one straight through (standard type) networking cable. Plug cable from upstairs router into WAP, put the cable you bought between your desktop and your WAP. All set :D

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Buy a PCMCIA network card for the Laptop. Disable the wireless one.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No need to buy anything, the Toshiba Satellite A15-S157 comes with a 10/100 Ethernet connection as well as the wireless capability, just plug it into the router with a CAT5 cable.

5. EarsToVanGogh

Thanks, Toddles, Dave and John. :)

I just got an update and it's going to be a Toshiba Satellite A10-S177, not the A15-S157. Does anything change now? I believe that it still has the wireless stuff, etc.

If I am just running a CAT5 up to the router, do I need to do something to the router to make it all work? Will it automatically recognize the new computer or the like? Does my ISP care if there is another computer online?

What happens when you are all hooked up, disconnect to go out and about with the laptop and then come back to hook up again? Does it all just take care of itself? Do I need to "do something" each time I hook back up to the router?

I really want to thank you all for your input. You are all so smart about this stuff. If you ever need advice on art, juggling or playing the ukulele, just holler. :D I guess we all have our own abilities. Mine are somewhat useless (but fun to do) - yours are greatly needed and appreciated.

Thanks again! :)

6. EarsToVanGogh

Correction - I don't think that it has the wireless capability, but it has an Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX.

Will a CAT5 still do the trick?

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

No,No,Yes,No,No,......,Yes

8. JohnWill

If you have an Ethernet connection on the laptop, just run a patch cable to the router, you're connected. :)

9. EarsToVanGogh

Dave, you're killing me. :) That is how my mom answers my emails. Stop trying to make me think. LOL Thanks!

John, thanks much. It seems like it shouldn't be that easy. Maybe I am just used to the odd way that things get done at work.

Yeehaa!! Can't wait to get it now!

Thanks, folks. :D

10. guitarist968

guitarist968

Well it really is that easy! Home networking is easier than you think!

11. EarsToVanGogh

Guitarist - If only more things were easy... like getting a date with Gina Gershon. (Not familiar? Check out the current issue of Maxim magazine.) Sigh. ;)

12. JohnWill

Actually, connecting a new machine to a broadband router should be like falling off a log, easier to fall off than stay on. :)

13. EarsToVanGogh

Falling off a log? You're talking my game. Now, a greased hog is a different story.

14. EarsToVanGogh

Easier than falling off a log? Easier than that. I reached behind the computer, plugged in the Cat5 and by the time I sat back down, the internet popped up. Hot dang!

Life is good! (knocking on wood - no jinxes)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice