1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New NVIDIA GTX card in HP TouchSmart 610 Quad series All-In-One desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vic2009, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vic2009

Vic2009 Thread Starter

I am SERIOUSLY thinking of buying HP TouchSmart 610 Quad series All-In-One desktop with following (customized) specs. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...ore&category=desktops&series_name=610q_series

However, I DO NOT like the graphics card 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M - looks like they are putting laptop graphics card into a desktop.

My question(s) is/are :

Can I replace this card with one of the NVIDIA GTX series graphics card ? Which one will you recommend? I want to put in a new GTX 590 or any of the following :

GeForce GTX 580
    GeForce GTX 570
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    GeForce GTX 560 (new!)
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    GeForce GTX 460

Will it be a simple SWAP or I need to upgrade PSU as well.

If I need to replace PSU what will be specifications of the new PSU? I do not know what is the rating of the current PSU. Do you think, it will handle the new GTX card?

Specs of the desktop :

Operating system SAVE $21 on Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edit
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 quad-core processor with Turbo-Boost [up to 3.8GHz, 8MB cache] edit
    Memory FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3-1066MHz SODIMM [2 DIMMs] from 6GB edit
    Hard drive FREE UPGRADE to 1.5TB 5400 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 1TB edit
    Office software No additional office software edit
    Security software SAVE $30 on Norton Internet Security(TM) 2012 - 15 month edit
    Graphics card 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M edit
    Primary optical drive FREE UPGRADE to Blu-Ray writer from Blu-Ray player edit
    Networking Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R ) edit
    Productivity ports 6-in-1 memory card reader, 4 total USB (2.0), Beats audio [with I/O for TV Tuner option] edit
    TV & entertainment experience TV tuner, ATSC-NTSC with PVR, remote edit
    Sound Card Integrated sound edit
    Keyboard and Mouse HP wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse edit
    HDMI Game Console HDMI Game Console, HDMI input [for discrete graphics] edit
    Your additional options:
    Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.
    Monitor HP 2711x 27-inch LED Monitor edit

Thanks a LOT.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would not even think about it. It lists a 180W pw supply with higher wattages for selected upgrades. Even if the pw supply was twice the wattage rating it is not even close to min requirements for the cards you listed.

Next issue would be the physical size of the new card. Have you checked that it will even fit into that all in one?

Next issue would be cooling. That system is not going to be able to dissipate the extra heat generated by a high end video card.

As I said I would not even think about it.

3. Vic2009

Vic2009 Thread Starter

"As I said I would not even think about it." - That is what I thought too. I do not understand why HP is putting such a crappy GPU in a desktop. Any way....that is a different issue all togeher.

Thanks a LOT.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Depends on how you intend to use the system. That video card will work just fine for office, email, web, movie playback etc. The system is NOT designed for gaming. If you want a gaming system, then you either build it yourself, have a local shop do the build for you, OR buy a purpose build system like an alienware/dell that is made for gaming.

5. Vic2009

Vic2009 Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice