1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New/Old Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpencerW., Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpencerW.

SpencerW. Thread Starter

I took the fans out of an old computer of mine. It was a Pentium 1 computer with windows 95, and i didn't use it anymore, it was just collecting dust, can i take the fans out of it and put them into my new one? i have a compaq presario windows me pentium 3 now and it already has fans default cause i bought it from the store and didn't build it myselft, can i put these other fans in to help with cooling? cause it seems to run hot a lot cause i have it and my moniter close together in an inclosed space, will those fans help, and how can i install them into my new one?

T I A!

2. deuce

deuce

Yeah it should work...

You might want to also try to give it some space to breath...

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

SpencerW,

Like deuce_mn said giving the CPU space is important ........one more thing you want to be sure that your fans are all coordinated so that your fans are pulling air in (usually from the bottom) and pushing the warm air out (usually from the top).

One other thing that is overlooked and can often make a difference is your cable routing inside the CPU, when you pop the case off take a close look at the routing I've seen the flat ribbon cables routed in such a way that is counterproductive, like totally in the way and actually moving the fresh air away and or back down to the bottom of the CPU.

Good luck......

DS

4. SpencerW.

SpencerW. Thread Starter

how can i put them in, ive never done anything like this before, i want to learn. how can i install the fan? a website with pictures would help a lot, but not necessary if can be put into words.

5. deuce

deuce

well what fans are you trying to put in?... if you are puting in a case fan you hook it up to the case fan power connection on the mobo, and attach it to the spot on your case. (normally on the back panel with the other interfaces... there should be a spot for it. If it is for the mobo... you hook it up in the cooresponding power connection, and there should be places to screw it in on the mobo... you need to have a cpu fan on there already. Since it is an Intel you really don't need a whole lot of cooling. Space to breath... (inside and out as DS pointed out) and just a cpu fan is enough... but I case fan is good to if you want more cooling... (especially if you have a fan lying around you might as well put it in) I will look now for a website describing it in pictures and such and post it if you like...

6. SpencerW.

SpencerW. Thread Starter

i want to know how to do it, and i don't want to replace the fans i already have, i just want to put another one in.

7. deuce

deuce

How many fans do you have and which ones are they? (I need to know which ones are open)

8. SpencerW.

SpencerW. Thread Starter

i haven't added or taken anything out of the computer, but i want to add a fan to it, it has what came in it which is 1 fan in a boxed in area, don't know what it is, may be HD and another on just out in the open sitting on the big chip in the middle, facing the chip, which doesn't seem to help if it blows air at a wall but thats how they had it so ill let it stay, and i want to add another one that i took from my old win 95 comp. i unplugged the fan that is on the big chip in the middle on my new comp and plugged in the one from the win 95 comp and it worked but i want to leave what it already had in it and just put the other in as extra. but i don't see a place to put it and im not real familar with it. please help.
    T I A

9. deuce

deuce

If the fan you unpluged is your cpu fan... DON'T TURN ON YOUR COMPUTER!!... that would be bad... :( Even if you have an Intel, anything over 166 Mhz will burn itself up if left to its own devices. Is the other fan you are talking about the power supply fan? If so then you could use your extra fan as a case fan. You can connect it to the appropriate connectors on the back of you case and solder it to the appropriate connector on the mobo.

10. SpencerW.

SpencerW. Thread Starter

it has 2 fans,power supply and another one, guess it was the case fan, i can get them both and put in, but i don't see where to put it. i need to know where i can hook it up and which way i need the air to flow and whatever else you think i may need to know.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice