1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC 4 my son

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nutech12, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

Hi there. What do you think of the following system, my son asked me if it worth buying. He will game on it but definitely doesn't have gaming tower $!

Desktop (DG.B83AA.005) Intel Core i5-7400 (2.70 GHz) 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, AMD RX480 4GB Windows 10 Home
    https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php
    $599 CAD

Thx

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

How old is your son? Is he going to college soon ? Spend a little bit more on the CPU i7 and it will last longer.

3. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

He's 19. Isnt planning on college.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

My humble opinion: urge him to go to university. He will expand his world view, open new horizons. Even if he gets a General Arts degree. It might develop interests he never had and lead him on to get a Masters degree. The student loan is worth it. And if he goes into a professional field, of course he would earn more.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The link does not work. Big box systems ie dell, hp, etc are not really designed for gaming [exception being the dell/alienware systems] We must have 4000 dells at work however I would never think of trying to game on one of them.
    A real gaming system is not cheap with a gaming video card costing quite a bit of money along with a performance motherboard, high quality pw supply, etc, etc.

As far as education, encourage him to continue with some type of education. It does not have to be college; many tradesmen ie welders, machinists, etc make very good money.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

It is true that a tradesman also earns a good living. But that's why I put the monetary benefits as the last item of consideration. At universities, it is mandatory to enroll in some courses in the humanities and the arts, no matter if you major in engineering or whatever professional studies. Thus you learn how civilization has progressed to the state today. One can learn that from the arts and literature; as they reflect the concerns of society. One can trace the history of the sciences, and see it's evolution, the blind sides, and how they are improving.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice