1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC - Basic Question!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by runtonfossil, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runtonfossil

runtonfossil Thread Starter

I intend to purchase a new PC, my 2nd & although I appreciate I must reload my software, operating system & ISP, I do not know how to transfer the stored info on my hard drives. I am worried that by being a "PC inadequate" I might lose the lot!! Please help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

One way would be to temporarily load your present hard drive as a secondary on the new machine and transfer things as you want.

The other is to use XP's Files and Settings Transfer Wizard found in the System Tools. It can be used on both the old and new computers.

If there are specific things you want to save, there may be more explicit directions for them.

Also, software like Acronis TrueImage allows you to image your entire hard drive onto CD-RW's and then browse the image for files after the old machine is long gone.

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I love Acronis! They make the BEST software (y)

I wrote them and asked them to please make an operating system :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice