1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New pc blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrissteel1980, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrissteel1980

chrissteel1980 Thread Starter

Hi guys, I have just received a new pc from ACMW, the website links here for free support? I plugged it in using the power lead supplied and it immidiately blew the fuse in the lead and tripped the main fuse switch in my hall. Any ideas what I should do next? I have tried to contact the company but there not there on a weekend (sensible people!!) I have searched the forums using the word 'fuse', so forgive me if this is answered elsewere. Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. Megabite

Megabite

Did it actually blow the fuse in the plug

3. chrissteel1980

I believe so, I tried the lead on my other computer straight after, it didnt work so I put another fuse in the plug, plugged it back into my second computer (not the new one) and it worked fine.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Something is causing a short somewhere...maybe the power supply or something has moved while in transit.....

I would contact the suppliers and return it as soon as they are open

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

On many PC power supplies sold in the USA, there is a slide switch on the back labeled 115/230. I assume you are in the U.K. so if the power supply has such a switch, make sure the switch is set to 230.

6. chrissteel1980

Thanks for the input guys, I'l just wait for the company to open on Monday and give them a call. There is no such switch (that I can see) on the power supply but thanks anyway!

7. chrissteel1980

Just as an update: I emailed they company yesterday but no reply, so I called the company, they gave me a mobile number I had to text the problem too, after 3 texts the person at the other end decided I need a new psu, they are sending me one but have told me I need to fit it and then only plug the system in using a surge protector, and this is where it has been left. All very mysterious! Are psu's easy to fit? I have fitted dvd drives, memory, grpahics cards before as upgrades.. Also, will a surge protector solve all my problems? I can only wait and test it out I guess..!

8. Megabite

Megabite

You should have no problem installing the PSU

The surge protector is just what it says

I think they sent you a faulty PSU to begin with

9. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

When installing a PSU, just remember which plug goes where (if you unexperienced) and take each plug out and replacing it with the same plug on the other power supply, do that until everything is how it was and then simply screw the PSU into position after removing the old one.

10. chrissteel1980

I got the new psu, swapped it for the old one, and it works perfectly.. I even tried it without the surge protector out of curiosity (/stupidity) and it worked fine.. Looks like it was the psu. Thanks for the help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice