1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC Build Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DYNO, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DYNO

DYNO Thread Starter

I want to build my first computer. It's not going to be anything too high end, but I want it to be good enough to play the latest games and allow me to multitask very well. Here is what I have so far, any suggestions are appreciated.

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail

EVGA 256-P2-N761-AR GeForce 8600GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM

Also, what are some protections that you guys take with static shock?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

I just use a static pad on my workbench, snap on the alligator clip and touch the case from time to time.

3. DYNO

DYNO Thread Starter

What do you mean static pad? I didn't know they made anything that protected from static shock? Where can you buy stuff like that?

Also, is there any simple household way to safeguard yourself....or is it ok to just touch the case often when building?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

5. dez_666

dez_666

I think you'll want a hard drive as well, unless you run your OS off a cd =]

6. DYNO

DYNO Thread Starter

I already have f that I'm putting into this machine. I just didn't list it because I'm not buying a new one lol.

Thanks win2kpro.

7. bigbear

bigbear

Is your old hard drive sata?
    New motherboards are designed for sata hard drives so will probably only have one ide controller which is for your optical drives.
    Also you will have to reinstall windows and all your programs

8. avengeda7x

avengeda7x

Very nice system you have there :) like the mobo, and as far at the e6600 and the GeForce 8600GTS 256MB GDDR3 thats what i have, you can run a LOT of apps with that cpu :) and the GFX card will last for around 2years, as it is directx 10 compatable, which most new games are going to be. :D And with 2G ram your pc will be able handle anything you through at it at the moment lol

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice