1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New pc build, boot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Salamanderhead, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Salamanderhead

Salamanderhead Thread Starter

Hey guys, I've been having this on-going problem for a couple months now and I have no idea what to do. I ordered a new mobo, processor, ram and eventually a new power supply trying to upgrade my pc only to keep running into the same problem. Everything seems to boot fine except the gfx card. The fans on the card will spin momentarily and then stop followed by slight flickers of movement.

This is the mobo, http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128602

This is the processor, http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4904560

After setting up the build and running into the problem the first time I checked around online and everything pointed to the mobo being bad. So I sent it back and got a replacement. When I rebuilt the pc I had the same problem.
    I then came to the conclusion it must be my psu. I was using a 600 watt corsair by the way and my video card is currently an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series . So I ordered an 850 watt EVGA psu and tried that but I'm still having the same problem.

Everything seems to be connected properly. I have the 4 pin cpu cable connected to the mobo as well as the 24 pin connector. The gfx card has the 8 socket connection plugged.

I tried booting without any ram and that wasn't the problem. There's no onboard video so I can't try to boot without the video card.

Oh, I should mention I also tried an older video card to see if that would work and the same problem occured with the fans spinning briefly and then stopping with minor flickers of movement and no display.

The video card works fine as I'm using it now in my older pc I was trying to upgrade from as well as the 850 watt power supply.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I see a couple of items here;

1 There are two different 8320s. One of which is supported by your mb from the first or release bios and the other is only supported by a beta bios which your board would never have shipped with. Are you absolutely sure which 8320 you have installed?

2 The mb you selected is not a performance board. Gigabyte is a fine mfg however that particular mb is one of their low end boards; ok for a basic build however NOT up to the stress of gaming. The performance gigabyte boards have the UD suffix ie UD3, UD5, etc. These are designed for the stress of gaming.

3 There are two different versions of your mb; ver1 and ver2.0. Exactly which mb do you have? The ver# should be silkscreened on the mb pcb. It should also be on the mb box label ie where the serial# is listed on the box.

3. Salamanderhead

Salamanderhead Thread Starter

The link I provided to the processor is the one I ordered. I got the link directly from the purchase email so that would be the one.
    My board is Ver2.0

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ver 2 supports all versions of that cpu so that is not the problem. If you have tried the video card in another system [and it works] along with another pw supply, that really leaves only the cpu or mb. You have already tried another board so that somewhat points at a doa cpu [It is possible to get 2 failed boards however not likely] You did not by chance have any problem removing the cpu from the first board did you?

As a test, you can do the following [if you are comfortable doing so]

System OFF, remove the hsf however leave the fan lead connected to the mb. Clean off any thermal compound on the cpu heat spreader. Now place one finger on the cpu and pw ON the system. Have the other hand/finger on the pw supply switch. If you feel the cpu starting to get warm/hot, immediately hit the switch on the pw supply. Do not let it run without a cooler for more than a second or so; just to see if it gets warm.

If you are not comfortable doing the test, then take your parts to a shop and have them diagnose the problem. Note when I say shop, I mean just that NOT a best buy or other chain store; a real shop that does builds.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice