1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC Build - Dead Mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scoopsdad, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scoopsdad

scoopsdad Thread Starter

I just put together a PC...specs as follows:

Biostar K8M80 & Athlon64 3000+ combo (int. video and audio)
    1 stick Crucial 1GB DDR 400
    WD Caviar SE 80GB SATA
    Asus 16X DVD+/-
    Raidmax Mid Tower
    Logisys 550W PSU

I've probably built a good 10+ PCs in my time so I'd like to think I know how to put one together and what common things to check when there's boot problems...but this one just has me frustrated to the max.

I bench tested the mobo before installation - PC booted up, PSU and HS fans were spinning, etc. so figured all was well and finished with the build. Once everything was put together, I booted it up preparing to install XP and.....no video. Just a lovely steady yellow light on the monitor. I also noticed that the red HDD LED was staying lit continuously. And....the on/off and reset buttons wouldn't do a damn thing.

Made sure the RAM and all cables were properly seated. Tried again. Same thing. Put the RAM in the second slot. Same thing.

This was the first time I used a SATA HD so thought maybe I messed something up somehow or maybe the HD was bad. I put in an PATA HD. Same thing.

Clearly the PSU is alright. It's not a video card problem as the video is integrated. The CPU came pre-installed on the mobo - even though I did double check to make sure it was seated alright.

Anyone have any ideas? My guess is the mobo is bad...I just wish there was a way to make sure before I RMA it.

2. onsite

onsite

Sounds like you are an old timer ? we all need help now and then. OK lets see if we can just get the mainboard to post. So remove everything not needed to post, all pci cards except for video, disconnect sata, floppy, cdrom , ( BTW the red light on, make sure your grey cdrom data cable is not in backwards) everything, now turn on the pc, did it post ?

3. scoopsdad

scoopsdad Thread Starter

Thanks, onsite :)

I disconnected everything - including the hard drive, just to see what happens - the HDD light is still steady red even though there's no hard drive attached....interesting. Also, I held in the power switch for a good 15 seconds and it finally turned off - well, the green light shut off - but all fans are still spinning and the red HDD light is still on.

Craziness.

So, what's your diagnosis, Dr. Onsite?

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Make sure the motherboard and other components are not shorting out by touching
    the metal case.

Did you use non-conductive stand-offs to mount the mobo?

5. scoopsdad

scoopsdad Thread Starter

Thanks, prunejuice.

Yep, I used the gold standoffs and the red paper washers - both came with the mobo.

I'm pretty sure it's not a shorting out problem since when I bench tested the mobo, I couldn't shut it off using the on/off switch - but at the time thought that I probably attached them to the mobo wrong so didn't give it much thought.

6. onsite

onsite

Try clearing the cmos, if that does not work , take the mainboard out again and try it on your desktop again. When you tried it on your desktop did you have the jumpers on the case header pins on ? also when you last tested did you disconnect the cdrom ?

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

Could just be a bad motherboard. These things happen.
    Send it back.

8. scoopsdad

scoopsdad Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help, guys - I'm pretty damned sure the mobo is hopelessly dead.

Onsite, cleared the CMOS and took the mobo out of the case - tried everything all over again - with nothing connected whatsoever - still no go.

I requested an RMA from Newegg so hopefully this will be a speedy, painless process.

Now to find a box to ship it back in, hehe.

Thanks, guys.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, if I understand your post you were able to get the system to post outside of the case and when you installed it, you have problems.
    Is that correct? If so, it points at a mounting problem. Pull everything from the case. Place the mb on a non-conductive surface. I use the mb box. Do not use the AS bag since the outside of some bags conduct electricity. Now connect your monitor to the onboard video. Install one ram chip. Connect your power supply to the mb. Use a small screwdriver to jump the power switch pins on the board. If all is well, you should get a display on the monitor. If you do not get a display / post, then you will need to swap parts with known good ones ie ram, cpu, ps, board.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW if you do get a post, check your mounting.

How to install a new board.
    1 Pull the IO plate from the back of the case.
    2 Place the board in the case and use something like a sharpie to mark the case where the standoffs need to be installed.
    3 Install the standoffs.
    4 Reinstall the IO plate in the case.
    5 Place the board on the standoffs and slide it into the IO plate; secure with the screws provided.

11. onsite

onsite

they are really good with RMAs, they even paid up to $7 for shipping back after I bought a DL DVD burner that was not using the pioneer chip set ( i did not know any better at the time). I told them it was not broken, it was just a peice of junk. I waisted 10-12 DL DVDs on it and 10 4.7gig DVDs. Don't count on the shipping refund. I think they had a lot of returns on the DVD burner, should have read the write ups. They are one of the easiest companies to do business with.
    BTW was your power supply new that you used ?

12. onsite

onsite

the power supply you were using, it might be that. try it in another pc, just plug in the mainboard connector and the extra 4 pin plug . see if it will post

13. scoopsdad

scoopsdad Thread Starter

I'm baaaaaack! Unfortunately!

Onsite, I just got a new mobo from Newegg...you're right, they're great with RMA's, thankfully. I was dreading it. Usually RMA's are nothing but a hassle.

I'm having the same problems with this new mobo (same brand and model as the old one) though. I thought it may have been my fault, that I didn't set the headers right, but I kept notes on what results I got from doing what. Truthfully this isn't my specialty. I'm good with computers but not *that* good.

If you're facing the bottom of the mobo so that the I/O's are on your left:

When I had all the headers plugged in so that the names on the header wires faced me (both the top and bottom row) - no post beeps, the red HDD LED stayed lit, no power LED, and I couldn't shut the power off by using the on/off button, nor would the Reset button work.

When I had all the headers plugged in so that the names on the header wires were facing each other (top row facing down, bottom row facing up) - no post beeps, no HDD LED, no power LED, the on/off and reset buttons didn't work.

When I had all the headers plugged in so that the names on the header wires were facing outwards (both rows facing upwards) - no post beeps, no HDD LED, power LED did stay lit, the restart button did not work...however, when I held the on/off button in for about 8 seconds, the power LED shut off but it didn't stop the power to the mobo...the fans kept spinning.

When I performed this little experiment, the only thing I had attached to the mobo was one stick of RAM - nothing else. I was bench testing the mobo so it wasn't inside of the case but instead was laying on the anti-static foam it came shipped with. So short circuiting wouldn't be an issue.

I'm assuming, at this point, the mobo isn't at fault. I highly doubt I would've received two of the same damaged mobos...so what else could the culprit be at this point?

14. prunejuice

prunejuice

A bad mounting. Something on the motherboard may be making contact with the metal case.

15. scoopsdad

scoopsdad Thread Starter

Nope, can't be because I didn't have the mobo inside of the case. I had it laying on top of the anti-static foam on top of its cardboard box!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice