1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved New PC Build - Fans not running

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carter7984, Sep 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carter7984

carter7984 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I just completed a new build and I am having problems getting the fans to run. The CPU fan runs fine, but the other ones haven't started up yet.

NZXT Case H510
    Aorus x570 Elite/ WiFi
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

When in the bios for the MB, it has a section for fans, but I don't know if they are actually being picked up by the motherboard. From what I can tell, everything is plugged in correctly. But like I said, the 0nly fan I can get to work is the CPU fan (and GPU fan of course).

The back and the top fans do not function. I also installed 2 more fans in the front of the case, to provide better airflow and to keep it cool due to the CPU and my gaming and such.

Everything starts up fine, runs fine, plays games fine, but I am just worried about it possibly overheating during gameplay or anything else.

In the bios for the MB, is there a setting to make the fans run manually for a few mins, to make sure they are indeed plugged in correctly and functioning?

Otherwise, can I get a 4 pin to 3 pin fan extension to run the front fans off the PSU?

Thanks,

G

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some of those nzxt cases have a fan controller. Are you plugging the case fans into the controller OR are you plugging them into the motherboard?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The spec sheet for that board shows 2 chassis fan headers on the motherboard.

4. carter7984

Hi. Going straight to MB. I am sorry, can you show me what I need to do? I am not familiar with what you mean?

Thanks!

5. carter7984

It appears everything is plugged in, just not running.

Is there something in the BIOS that I have to enable to get these other fans going?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can config fan speeds in the bios OR set a profile ie silent, full speed, etc. Here is a pic of the fan headers circled in red.

Attached Files:

7. carter7984

Yes, that is where they are indeed plugged in at.
    Thank you for that confirmation.

I can't find any documentation on how to set the fans

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Page 33 of the online manual. Your board does have a fan stop option.

9. carter7984

Still nothing when changing some settings, then playing some games to stress it a bit.

Not sure :/ Have tried all fans, (even the ones I installed) and nothing.

Thank you so much for your help thus far.

Any other help is greatly appreciated!

If worst comes to worst I will probably going to end up just getting a connector/controller to hook the fans into to go straight to the PSU. Then I can manually control them.

Thanks again so much!

10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

It could be a bad/faulty mobo.....if under warranty, I'd send it back.

11. carter7984

Okay, I will start the process for warranty.

How do I remove the CPU and all that w/ the heatsink attached? Just pull it out?

Thanks!

Best

12. carter7984

I am getting a lot of lagging and skipping when signed on to 2 local accounts on my PC.

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but if I am using my work login, and on my personal login at the same time, then thats when it gets laggy/skipping.

Thanks!

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Absolutely NOT. Release the cam lock then the hold down spring clips. Now lift off the cooler. Release the lever and now remove the processor.

14. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Check out youtube.....someone has made a video on how to remove your model CPU cooler. Event though we don't know what brand/make/model you have.

15. lynx1021

lynx1021

If you send it in they usually want the plastic cover back on the CPU socket to protect the pins. Are your fans 3 pin or 4 pin?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice