1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved New PC Build - First Time Builder - Guidance Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by k.k, Dec 7, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. k.k

k.k Thread Starter

Hi so i am new to forums and do not really know if i am posting on the right section, i built my first pc everything booted fine and is installed, i was having a problem were any time i start the computer up it would first go to bios screen before windows load screen, but then figured out that was a setting in the bios and now its fixed but if someone could just to be safe is that correct that its a setting that was causing the bios to show up before windows load screen please reassure me if that is correct, moving on the main reason i am on this forum is because when i start my PC up before it goes into windows loading screen it shows a black screen with my PC spec such as (/CPU / DRAM frequency /DRAM size /USB total/) then it says underneath (Detected ATA/ATAPI devices.../ SATA Port1: Samsung SSD) now i would like to mention i do not have a HDD plugged in as of yet so do not know if that is it but like i said i am new to this, 1 other thing is when i plug the HDMI into the motherboard nothing comes up on screen but works fine when plugged in GPU is that to do with settings, any help would be appreciated thank you in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

Not sure about the Bios showing up first but if a setting stopped that it should be ok.
    The black screen with PC details is normal and nothing to worry about.
    An SSD is seen as just another (hard) drive by the PC.
    When you have a separate Graphics card installed the motherboard graphics are turned off automatically.

So in short you seem to be fine. Next step is to install Windows.

4. k.k

k.k Thread Starter

hi thank you for you're response and when i say bios i mean it does not go into bios but shows the msi bios picture that says press delete to enter bios or f11 to boot menu thats what i changed in setting under logo enabled which i disable so is that fine, and after that it showed the black screen which you said is fine, i have everything upto date on the pc and the only problem i have now is when i download the bios update from msi the main file is missing searched everywhere do you know why that is?, but thank you for you're reply really puts things to ease as a new builder.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

Thanks for clarifying about the MSI 'Bios picture logo screen' (often called a splash-screen), it's perfectly ok to bypass it the way you did.

Yes everything else you did is fine too.

Updating the bios can be a bit risky so unless you have a specific reason to flash the Bios I would leave it as it is.

6. k.k

k.k Thread Starter

Ye theirs no specific reason i just thought that keeping everything up to date is what i have to do and seen yt videos of people saying update to the latest bios to fix certain stuff such as bugs, so do i have to update bios or only if i am experiencing bugs and glitches and could you tell me why the msi file i missing still confused thanks.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

Bios update isn't worth doing unless you have a problem and you know an update is designed to fix it.
    I would wait and if you don't any such problems don't bother updating the Bios.

If you post the link you used to get the Bios update I'll check if it works properly for me.

8. k.k

k.k Thread Starter

so what youre saying is bios update is only worth doing if there is a problem and i know the bios is going to fix it? the links here bud :https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK.html#down-bios

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

Yes, that's it exactly.

Assuming you tried to download the newest one dated 2017-09-21 did you unzip the download ?
    I did and found 2 files, 7A34v1x.txt and E7A34AMS.190

10. k.k

k.k Thread Starter

yes unzipped and tried extracting and only 2 folders as you mentioned the main one for the bios is missing dunno whats up with that and again thank you for you're help.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

But you got the same 2 files I did ? If so there's no problem.

12. k.k

k.k Thread Starter

ye but there should be 3 files all together from what i understand the file missing is named setup the same problem on YouTube they went to load into bios and nothing happens cause the main file is missing that is why when i tried it before i came on to the forums nothing happened when you click into to it otherwise the bios would of been updated, the only file in bios only shows as (<DIR> system volume information).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

If it's the Youtube video in the link at the top of the Bios page you posted I think the 3rd file is used to flash from windows, you don't need it.

This is the same method as in the video, (this link is just below the Youtube link) but might be easier to follow :- https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/How_to_flash_the_BIOS.pdf

All you need is the E7A34AMS.190 file.

14. k.k

k.k Thread Starter

so when i done it the 2 files you're talking about was in the bios and this showed up (<DIR> system volume information) what i had seen when someone was updating there right on top of (<DIR> system volume information) was (<DIR> BIOS) which was the file used to for bios update so why is it only showing (<DIR> system volume information) and what is that? and you said YouTube video i posted at the top of bios link what yt video? i dont see what you're talking about only the bios link i posted i dont see no YouTube video at the top in that link.

15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

System Volume Information is put on the Usb stick by Windows, you can ignore it.

In the video they must have make a folder on the Usb stick called BIOS and put the equivalent of the E7A34AMS.190 inside that folder.

Got a link to the video you watched ?

16. k.k

k.k Thread Starter

and you said YouTube video i posted at the top of bios link what yt video? i dont see what you're talking about only the bios link i posted i dont see no YouTube video at the top in that link. vid link :-

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200731