1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New pc build freezing when downloading anything

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Angelo01, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Angelo01

Angelo01 Thread Starter

So I recently built my own computer and started downloading some drivers. Everything was fine until 20-30 minutes into these downloads that my computer freezes and I’m unable to open the task manager or even move the mouse I’m just left with the only option of restarting my pc. My computer works fine on its own without downloading anything but as soon as I do start to download something it’s usually a few minutes later and my pc freezes again I sometimes get left with BSoD but no error code on screen and it’ll just restart itself. I’m not really tech savvy so I can’t really think of much besides maybe the bios is out of date or something is wrong with my hardware. Any suggestions? Thanks.

MOBO: asrock b450m pro4 f
    Cpu: ryzen 5 2600
    RAM: viper 4 2x8 16gb 3000 MHz
    Gpu: sapphire nitro+ rx580 8gb
    Psu: thermaltake smart 500w 80+
    Case: Corsair carbide spec 04

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello Angelo01,

You could do with a better quality and output PSU, the one that you have is entry level and being that it is not even Bronze efficiency rated it is best suited for an office type computer that has integrated graphics rather than an 8GB GPU like you have.

What are you trying to download.

Are crash dmps enabled on your computer, you don`t list your OS so we can`t provide the steps for enabling crash dmps.

3. Angelo01

Angelo01 Thread Starter

Im not sure what crash dmps are tbh. I’m using Windows 10. Could it really be the power supply?

4. Angelo01

Angelo01 Thread Starter

Also I been mainly trying to download the gpu driver and Realtek driver

5. phillpower2

phillpower2

Can I ask that you do not quote every reply, it really does not help any and just makes for unnecessary reading, thanks.

How to Configure Windows 10 to Create Dump Files on BSOD

Can you also answer this for us.

It most certainly could be the PSU and even if it was of better quality, your 8GB GPU requires the system to be powered by a good quality brand 500W PSU that has a minimum of 33 amps on the +12V rail, your present PSU although labelled as 500W can only actually produce 420W and being that it is not even Bronze efficiency rated the maximum power that the PSU produces will be less stable than if it had a better efficiency rating, see attachment below

Going offline now as it is getting late here and I have an early start.

Attached Files:

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Start by testing your temps and voltages; usually asrock has a utility on the support page for just this task. Post the following; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values.
    I agree that attempting to use a 580 card with your current pw supply is just asking for a problem. The ONLY pw supplies that are up to pw a gaming type system; high end corsair ie AX, HX or RM models ONLY, seasonic, or the antec HCG models.

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What drivers? If they are mobo drivers...why are you downloading them? Use the driver install media that came with the mobo.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is usually best to go to the support page for the motherboard and get the latest chipset, sound, lan, etc drivers. In addition, he would need to download the video driver. With a video card [especially one that has been out for a while like a 580] the disk that comes with the card is always out of date.

How can it take that long to download drivers??? Even though the amd chipset/AIO type drive is pretty large, it should be done in 1~2min NOT 30min.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  9. Blu_86

Blu_86

Corsair Carbide SPEC04 doesn't have a 5.25" Drive Bay so OP likely doesn't have an optical drive with which to install drivers from CD. An alternative is to use a laptop or other PC, browse the install CD, copy and paste drivers to a USB stick, and install that way, but I would advise you go directly to AMD for updated chipset drivers for your B450 board there have been two recent chipset updates that are not posted on the Asrock site. I agree about the PSU RX 480 is going to draw some power due to the older architecture definitely get yourself a high quality 600-650-750W power supply with around 50a+ on the +12v rail specification., do check your voltages per post#6 that's important to see what you're working with power-wise.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice