1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC Build - RAM Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SoggyCabbages, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SoggyCabbages

SoggyCabbages Thread Starter

System specs firstly:

HyperX DDR4 8GB 2666Mhz RAM
    AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 ghz CPU
    ASRock x370 Killer SLI Motherboard
    Corsair Tx-650M PSU
    (Storage irrelevant to question)

So this is my first PC build but I'd like to think of myself quite knowledgeable with computers. All built together okay go to turn on the computer and it boot loops, insert the motherboard speaker and it is emitting 3 beeps which I look on the ASRock website and that's UEFI Bios code for RAM problem

Originally I looked on my motherboard's compatiblity list for Ram as I originally bought some Timetec RAM, that wasn't on the list so I thought if I buy the HyperX stuff as stated above then all will be rosey. But however I go to turn it on today with the new memory installed and still the same three beeps and in a boot loop. But I thought that RAM compatibility doesn't matter too much so was perplexed at that myself. I can definitely say I haven't received dead RAM sticks as both the HyperX and Timetec stuff didn't work.

I've tried all four slots individually with each card, literally every combination possible, but to no avail and the same three beeps.

I'm lost as to what it could be. Have I possibly damaged the slots themselves that the RAM sits in? But I would have thought that would be difficult to do.

I can provide further details and pictures if needed.

Thanks guys I spent a fair bit of money on this and don't want to see it go to waste!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How is ram made up
    8gb STICKS - or 8GB in total
    and have you checked page 25 of your board manual for the ram placement in the slots
    under Ryzen CPU

3 long beeps on that board is NO RAM
    Check placement and seating

3. SoggyCabbages

SoggyCabbages Thread Starter

Two lots of 4gb.

I know from personal experience that Ryzen CPUs like slots 2 anad 4, but I've tried every combination from slots 1-4 with one and two ram sticks installed but nothing works.

Placement and seating is fine.

What do you think is wrong if the RAM sticks are fine?

4. Macboatmaster

Which GRAPHICS CARD please

Well
    Forgetting that for the time being

On those boards the ram is reasonably difficult to seat in the slot
    Are you 100& certain ram is in place and clips in stick
    If the clips go into the ram stick correctly then ram is in place correctly
    If the clip is not seated at each end evenly and in its ram stick slot then that is the first issue to examine.

I know you say you are quite knowledgeable but you also say it is the first build
    I would check in the following order

1. All connections especially main power and aux power
    Are you sure aux power is correct
    I have seen the wrong connector used here
    ATX 12V Power Connector (ATX12V1)
    8 pin top of board or if using 4 pin connect on right when viewing board so that connector is at top
    A wrong or bad connection here could indeed cause the three beeps

2. CPU - not seated correctly or indeed damaged pin could again be the cause

3. If that gets you no further I would connect out of case to ensure you have no ground connection on board in incorrect place
    Of course IF you are certain stand- offs are correct and no chance of ground, then that is obviously not the cause, but it is an easy mistake to make especially on some cheaper model cases

5. Macboatmaster

Having seen my last post - what is your reply please

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice