New PC Build - Shutoff After Powered On for Extended Periods

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wellen778

Hello,

I recently built a new PC and I was hoping learn how to handle it better...

It is a powerful build and everything works impressively - but I ran into an issue that I believe might be hardware related.

The issue is that after extended periods it has shut off by itself automatically. In the few times that I have monitored the PC temperatures, everything seems normal, but I don't want to rule overheating out. It may be getting used to its cooling management, and this issue will eventually disappear, but I want to make sure that I am reducing any damage that might incur.

A few other things to note:
1) My motherboard was purchased "Open-box" (pre-owned within 30 days) from Microcenter. They promised it was fully tested and working, but I just wanted to note this in case that sounds suspicious to you.
2) When installing the Liquid Cooler, I had made two errors. I smeared a bit of the pre-applied thermal paste on my pants accidentally. This might have affected cooling quality. Secondly, in order to replace the cooling mounting brackets, I intentionally opened up the cooling compartment, and ended up spilling about 5% coolant (on my pants again). Luckily I was holding it face up and realized my mistake. I put it back together. I am in the process of getting a warranty refurbishment from Corsair and bought extra paste to apply when it comes.

Any advice for a new PC owner would be appreciated. Thanks.

--PC Build Description--
Motherboard: ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming
Power Supply: 850 Watt, Fully Modular
Central Processing Unit: AMD Ryzen 3950X 16 Core Processor, 3493 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
Graphics Processing Unit: Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
Cooling System: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Ripjaw
Storage 1: M.2 SSD, 500 GB
Storage 2: 2.5" SATA, 160 GB
Storage 3: 3.5" SATA, 270 GB
Fan(s): 5 Total, all CPU facing (2 Cooler, 2 Optional, 1 CPU)
Case: Cougar MX330
Cable Management: Tried to reduce cables in Motherboard bay. Single GPU is powered with two cables for better power management.
Monitor: Samsung CHG90 49" Ultrawide (Max resolution set)

crjdriver

What are you using to monitor temps? Asus has monitoring software on the support page; called dual intelligent processors. Use that OR use ryzen master to monitor temps.

I noticed on the support page a LOT of bios updates that address system stability. Are you running the latest bios?
If you are reading the temp in the corsair iCue software, that is coolant temp and not processor temp.

In addition, post the exact pw supply you are using.

I have used a number of "Open box" motherboards from newegg; never had a problem. Microcenter may be different.

wellen778

What are you using to monitor temps? Asus has monitoring software on the support page; called dual intelligent processors. Use that OR use ryzen master to monitor temps.

I noticed on the support page a LOT of bios updates that address system stability. Are you running the latest bios?
If you are reading the temp in the corsair iCue software, that is coolant temp and not processor temp.

In addition, post the exact pw supply you are using.

I have used a number of "Open box" motherboards from newegg; never had a problem. Microcenter may be different.
For Temperature monitoring I am using a program called "Speccy"
For updating the Drivers/BIOS I am using a program called "Armoury Crate" which came with the motherboard. The CPU temperature I had to estimate based on the other temperatures. Not that accurate, but it is something and gives me a general idea of how hot things are getting. Also the Armoury Crate software states that no new BIOS are available, so I think I am up to date.
I've included both of those in the attached image.

My power supply is a Seasonic USA Focus Plus Series 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply
https://www.microcenter.com/product...t_80_Plus_Gold_ATX_Fully_Modular_Power_Supply

One last thing. I have been able to reproduce the issue with more detail. It seems to happen on random occasions, whenever I leave my computer idle, but then come back and move the mouse and turn the screen on. When the screen turns back on I will find the screen frozen with no input response. Then the computer will shut off (the monitor will display its HDMI input) and the computer will restart. This has happened twice while I was gaming (and the GPU was under pressure) and once when I was simply coming back from a break without any game running at all. So whatever this issue is, it doesn't seem to not be dependent on the level of processor usage. It could be a power issue, but 850W is a lot.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

crjdriver

One thing I notice; norton security. Norton is free with my motherboard also and I will not use it even if it were free. The built in windows 10 security will work well and not cause any problems.

Next your pic shows AI suite installed so I assume you already have dual intelligent processors installed. Use that to monitor temps and voltages. Post two screenshots of DIP; one under a normal load and again while running a stress test. You can use just about anything for the stress test; ie prime95, OCCT, or the ROG realbench. Let the stress test run for at least two min to stabilize temps/voltages.

Looks like you have GSkill ram installed. That ram almost always needs 1.35V vdimm or ram voltage. Your board should default to 1.2V. Have you set the ram voltage in the bios?
Have you run memtest to test the memory? If not, do so.
https://www.memtest.org/
Let memtest run for at least 1hr.

wellen778

Sorry for the long delay in my response. Been busy.

Before I try your solution this could just be an issue with my PC settings.

I am going to try this guide
https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-unexpected-shutdown/
It suggests that by default Windows 10 is set to turn off the hard disk after 20 minutes of idle activity. Thats strange to have as a default setting. I have currently set it to 0, and I will see if the issue persists.

efore I try your solution this could just be an issue with my PC settings.
Yes....that's what I was going to ask. What do you have or what is windows set for power/sleep. I did a clean install of 20H1 and found that those settings were set to 10 minutes and 30 minutes. Not my doing at all but that does work for me so I left it.

crjdriver

Turning OFF the hard disk and shutting down the system are two very different things. The system should be set to sleep [NOT shutdown] after 30min; that is the default.

wellen778

Turning OFF the hard disk and shutting down the system are two very different things. The system should be set to sleep [NOT shutdown] after 30min; that is the default.
They are different things. Which is why I was confused by this setting to shut down to hard disk.

I am testing the theory that this is what is causing the issue, because if the hard disk is shut down, then the operating system is not working, and if that happens, it prompts a restart. I will wake up my PC after a long idle (longer then 20 minutes) and when the screen turns back on I find everything has been frozen. The PC then shuts off a few seconds after.

So I am thinking maybe processes are stuck in RAM with no files on the hard drive to read or write because the hard drive is shut off? And then it just has to restart.

crjdriver

No, you are not understanding. Windows will stop a mech/spin drive that has not been used for a period of time [default 20min]
If the system is running, then it is accessing or using the system drive. This is basically for a system with multiple mech drives. A ssd does not stop so this is only IF you are using a mech drive and ONLY if the drive is an extra or data type drive.

wellen778

No, you are not understanding. Windows will stop a mech/spin drive that has not been used for a period of time [default 20min]
If the system is running, then it is accessing or using the system drive. This is basically for a system with multiple mech drives. A ssd does not stop so this is only IF you are using a mech drive and ONLY if the drive is an extra or data type drive.
My OS is currently installed on a mechanical drive. I have 3 drives on my PC and I haven't used. The newest is a 500 GB SSD, but I am doing a "trial run" on the old drive first. I will eventually reinstall the OS on the SSD. (Was also planning to do multiple boot one for gaming and one for work etc.)

But anyways that doesn't nullify your point so then maybe something else is going on. I am continuing to monitor so see if the issue persists and I will update if anything happens.

I would pull or at least unplug any HDD/SSD and just let it boot off the C drive.

I'm wondering with all those M.2 drives installed, are they taking/using some sata ports as some mobo's do. Your HDD should be in SATA port 1 or what ever you mobo calls the first sata port....some use 0 and others use 1.

wellen778

It appears unfortunately that the issue still persists. So whatever change I made to the settings has not worked.

I will try to test this issue as initially suggested and will update with the results.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts