1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC Build- Windows Can Not Find Drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NoblePhares, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NoblePhares

NoblePhares Thread Starter

I just finished my first PC build- Asus Z270E, Intel Core I7 6700, Storage- Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512gb, (4) 8gb HyperX Fury DDR4, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 FE, EVGA 850 p2..
    In my first attempt I had (2) 500gb Seagate SShd which did not register in Bios but after tweaking Bios I attempt to install Windows, where I am prompted Windows can not find drivers and there is nothing listed in the storage column. I assumed it was my used Seagate Hard drives causing the issue, so I purchase the Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD, once installed on the board it takes Bios 15-20 minutes to load up if it even loads up, once I get into bios and tweak for the different hard drive I again attempt to set up windows, still the same issue, windows can not find drivers. I update Bios from Asus website, I also downloaded Asus chipset update but can not figure out how to install it without having windows, I entered command Prompt in setup and ran SFC/scannow and it stated there was an issue resolved I just have to reboot pc and the issue will be fixed but there has not been a fix. Please If anyone can help,it took me a year to purchase all these components and now am a month in on trying to figure this out. I am assuming that the motherboards chipset needs updated but do not know, if it is something else. But the issues appears to be in the storage area of the motherboard all issues appear to point to storage. Thank You

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

You should have received an installation disk with the motherboard and that is where you should be installing the drivers from.

Do not allow Windows to install any drivers.

3. tecknurd

tecknurd

The disc that comes with the hardware has out dated drivers and utilities. It's best to download from the manufacturer's web site.

The motherboard should be able to boot into Windows out of the box. I suggest set the BIOS/UEFI to its defaults and boot into Windows.

Usually the SATA ports are disabled, but one is enabled. Enable all of them for them to detect the drives. Set SATA to AHCI. Also checking if both the power and data cables are connected to the drives and the data cable is connected from the motherboard to the drives.

Since this is your first build how do you know what BIOS setting to enable and what to disable? It's best to leave the BIOS settings alone if this is your first build. Also, it's to read the manual. It should boot up into Windows or Windows installation with no problems out of the box. It's normal that the computer cycle from being on and off and on when the motherboard is new or the BIOS has been reset. After you install Windows, then you can install the drivers. You should download the drivers from ASUS and put them on a USB flash drive from another computer. Then connect the flash drive to one of the USB 2.0 ports on the new system.

You are thinking too much into the build and install process of Windows. Running any command line utility is never needed when installing Windows. Please list the steps that you did to install Windows starting with pressing the power button. If you don't want to note down the steps, record a video of you doing a Windows install. I don't want to see the serial key in the video though. The serial key should be kept the same as you do for passwords.

It's best to save the money. Then buy the parts when you have reached the amount you can afford the parts all at once. The parts you bought is a few years old. You should wait a year and then buy the parts instead of buying the parts one at a time. I don't think your processor is an unlocked SKU which will help for overclocking.

4. phillpower2

phillpower2

NoblePhares

Post back if you still need help with this and someone will walk you through it.

Best to start from the beginning and only have the storage device that you will be using for Windows connected, use the onboard video - no add on video card in the MBs PCI-E slot and if installing Windows from a USB device you should disable secure boot in the BIOS, see my canned example "how to" below;

For computers that have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS, to be able to boot from your USB device you may need to disable secure boot and change UEFI to CSM Boot, not all computers and BIOS are the same, please refer to your user manual if you have one as the following steps are only one such example.

While the computer is re-starting,you will need to continually tap or hold down the particular key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer, we will use the F2 key as an example here;

After restarting the computer, when the screen goes black, press and hold down the F2 key, wait for the BIOS to load.

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you use a nvme M.2 type of drive, be sure and disconnect the pw from all other hard drives. Windows setup will install the boot files on the first sata drive ie the one connected to sata 0. With the pw connectors pulled, setup has no choice and will install all files to the M.2 drive. I have two systems here using M.2 type drives and I have to do this on both of them when doing an install.

Regarding drivers, the above is correct. The ONLY place to get drivers is from the motherboard support page. The exception to this is your video card. For the video driver, either go to the nvidia drivers page OR the card mfg's support page. When you do a windows install, it is done in the following order;
    1 Install windows
    2 Update to the latest service pack [no longer applicable with win10]
    3 Install chipset/motherboard drivers
    4 Install sound, nic/lan drivers
    5 Install video driver
    6 Install any utilities you need ie usb charge, motherboard monitoring software, ccleaner, etc, etc
    7 Run windows update and do all critical updates. Repeat until there are no more critical updates

At this point, I would really start over with the install. Secure erase the M.2 drive and clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC. Note samsung has a utility for secure erasing their drives. You can use a working system to make the usb bootable drive to accomplish this task. Some very high end Asus boards have a secure erase utility built into the motherboard bios. My ROG crosshair board has this option. Read your motherboard manual to see if you have this option.

Once you have secure erased the M.2 drive and cleared cmos, restart the system with the windows install usb; hit the F8 key to bring up the boot menu. Select the usb as the boot device and install windows.

Note on some asus boards, you cannot access the boot menu until fast boot is disabled in the bios; again read your motherboard manual.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice