1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Delaworm, Dec 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delaworm

Delaworm Thread Starter

I recently purchased components for a new gaming PC. I installed the components out of case, to test whether it all works. After installing and providing power to the CPU, GPU and RAM, the PC would not turn on at all (almost like there is no power). I have tested the PSU and it works. Not sure if the motherboard is Dead, as there is no lights once its all plugged in.

Is there any way I can test just the board?
    What else could be the problem?

Components:

• AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Octa-Core 3.6GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 Desktop CPU
    • Reeven RW-2401 NAIA 240mm RGB Closed Loop Black Liquid CPU Cooler
    • MSI B450 TOMAHAWK AMD B450 Ryzen Socket AM4 ATX Desktop Motherboard
    • Super Flower SF-650F14MT(BK) Leadex 650W 80 Plus Silver Certified Fully Modular Black Desktop Power Supply

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As a starter the prime culprits are
    Main power connection not correctly made by that I mean the 24 pin is not properly seated
    CPU power not correctly made
    Modular power supply - lead to incorrect port on PSU
    Incorrectly seated CPU or even worse bent pin on mounting it
    Those are your starting points

in that order
    After that see here
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubleshooting-guide-for-problem-builds.580000/

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How exactly did you test the pw supply? If you used the paperclip method, that is next to useless and does not test individual rails nor does it put the unit under a load. A pw supply test is slightly better however the best test is to install the unit in a bench system for testing.
    How exactly did you pw on the board? Did you short the pw switch pins or what?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice