1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New pc built having some issues.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The40oz, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The40oz

The40oz Thread Starter

Just got done building my pc last night early this morning. Im having some issues with the front two usb ports. When I plug a device in I loose my mouse which is plugged into the back usb ports. Also my front fan isnt working, im not sure if it ever runs I just happend to notice it now. Did I miss something here? The other three case fans work good, and all the temp and fan guages are lit and work.

Heres my specs...... 6400 duel core, 680i motherboard, raptor 150g 10000rpm, 8800gts, antec 650w psu, and two gig of kingston ram... cant remember what kind but it cost me 260.00. Also threw a artic cooler on the processor, xfr fatality sound card. O/s is vista basic.

Another question it looks like a rats nest in there I have to throw another dvd burner in tommorrow. How do you guys keep your cables nice? It looks crazy in there. lol, Also my usb head set wont work. Device manager says there are no problems. When I plug it in it recognizes the device but when I hop on teamspeak the sound just comes through my speakers. I have also tried to do some mic check thing and it doesnt work in there as well. I have downloaded all the new drivers for all the hardware. Any help would be apreciated. thanks.

2. Compiler

Compiler

1 - Vista basic could be an issue - especially with the 8800 card.
    2 - What kind of case? Was the USB cables standard bundle or individual wires (I hate those) - if those are mixed, damage or odd things can happen.
    3 - what mobo? But I assume this is an ASUS as only a few manufactures use the 680i chipset.

4 - Make sure front fan is plugged into something...

5 - About RATS nest of cables... that takes PRACTCE... If you have a tiny case, it could be more difficult. But looking at my systems here - I have hidden and moved and bent and tied cables out of the way - improves airflow, easier to work on and locate issues.

Depending on how much stuff you have, this can take 30mins to 3-10 for proper cable management ;)

While my cabling is perfect in my #2 system (I pull drives out a bit) - its easily more roomy and cleaner than a factory built Dell or HP.

3. The40oz

The40oz Thread Starter

The case is a full atx apevia so theres a good bit of room in there, can I use twisty ties and I was also thinking of taking some electrical tape and tie them off that way.

My board is a EVGA, someone had recommended that board if I ever plan on over-clocking anything and I believe evga has a good warranty program.

Now I have another question, what is a good temp for your motherboard and video card to be at?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Use small tie wraps. Do not use electrical tape. When I build a system I try and route ide type cables under the motherboard. This works well and removes the ribbon cable from the "rats nest"

Some thoughts on your usb problem. Have you installed the chipset or platform drivers?
    Have you checked in the bios to see if all usb is enabled?
    Have you checked the evga site for bios updates that address usb issues?

FWIW unless you intend to seriously overclock the system, I would really rma the board and go with an intel chipset board. IMO nothing beats the stability of an intel cpu running on an intel chipset board.

5. Compiler

Compiler

The Tie-Wraps cost $1~10, depending on how many and what kind you get. I got a multi-size bundle (tiny 3" to 12") as a gift 3-4 years ago... I think it came with 250 or so, and it still lasts and lasts - I even used it on my bike.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice