1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC Experiencing Freezes When on Desktop, Browsing, Etc - Never Freezes in Games.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bwhy, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwhy

bwhy Thread Starter

My problem: I have been experiencing (situational) freezes while using my PC, these freezes require me to hold down the power button and reboot.

Details: The situations in which my pc freezes is in low or next to no stress situations, this includes; sitting on the desktop, browsing the web, idle mode, messaging people over steam and msn, and many other little things that shouldn't be causing any problems, right?

The situations in which my pc does not freeze is in games (to avoid my pc freezing while typing this I am sitting in the main menu of a game using the Steam web overlay). I can play intensive games at their maximum settings and my PC never freezes, unless it is the game's fault, and that has only happened on one occasion. It does not freeze when in low stress gaming situations either, like in the main menu of a game.

-

I think it is hardware related, as it happened on both of my completely separate (and individually formated) installs of Windows XP and Windows 7 (I reinstalled Windows 7 once).

This problem has occurred with both out of the box and fully updated drivers for all pieces of hardware, on XP and 7.

Errors messages:

All error messages occur before my OS is loaded and just after I have rebooted after a freeze. On my old XP install it froze and actually had to recover the system BIOS, this is when I noticed a red and orange light on my motherboard, along with 3 other green lights (the 1st one is red, the second is orange). I don't know if this means it is something plugged into the motherboard that is causing the problem or the motherboard itself.

Just this morning (on the Windows 7 install) it said it could not find the DES driver (what is that exactly?).

Is it my Motherboard, other hardware, could something have become unplugged while moving, or not plugged in properly, something else?

System Information:
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 12/6/2009, 15:21:24
    Machine name: FOURLEAFCLOVER
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: P55-UD3
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4092MB RAM
    Page File: 1470MB used, 6710MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9460)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9460&SUBSYS_E115174B&REV_00
    Display Memory: 2806 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1017 MB
    Shared Memory: 1789 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
    Monitor Name: SyncMaster 2233SB,SyncMaster Magic CX2233SB(Digital)
    Monitor Model: SyncMaster
    Monitor Id: SAM049B
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)
    Output Type: DVI
    Driver Name: atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Driver File Version: 8.14.0010.0708 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.671.0.0
    DDI Version: 10.1
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail

I hope that is enough information, I can give more if you need.

Thank you for your time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/883193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice