Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New PC gives me no Display/POST

2K views 28 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, recently I've built my own PC after ordering all the parts. It was hard but at last I got it to turn on, fans were working and LED lights were on. However, when I then tried to connect a monitor to get into the BIOS and start installing Windows 10, my monitor was receiving no signal.

Monitor's HDMI Cable is plugged into the GPU and the Monitor works fine when attached to my laptop.

Something is wrong with my new PC, but I have no idea what. Everything seems to be plugged in properly.

Any replies are appreciated, this pc is a big investment and right now I'm very scared.

PARTS -

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600 & Wraith Cooler
MOBO: ASUS Prime B450 Plus
GPU: GTX 970 4gb OC Edition
RAM: XPG Gammix D10 2x4GB 3000Mhz
PSU: Corsair TX550M
Case: Phanteks P300 Tempered Glass
Fan: Be Quiet! 120mm

See less See more
#2 ·
Am I correct in thinking that in addition to no display, you also have no keyboard activity
If so connect keyboard PS2 if possible

Also depending on make of 970 are power connections made to card - could be two six pin

If you have no keyboard and no mouse power than it is something more than merely the graphics issue.

Do you have the 8 pin connector in place for CPU power top left of board to right of I/O ports

Carefully check all connections and if still no progress connect motherboard speaker to system panel connector and see if there are any beeps

#5 ·
Yes! That is correct. My headphones receive power from the USB sockets but my Mouse and Keyboard don't. I don't have a PS2 Keyboard unfortunately.
Yep, CPU power is all plugged in.
How do I connect the motherboard speaker to system pannel connector?

#3 ·
There is a guide at the top of the hw forum for problem builds. If you have not read it, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST condition.
Common errors for new builders;
1 Motherboard shorting to case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
2 The 8pin aux pw connector not plugged in
3 Incorrect install of heatsink fan [more an intel problem than an amd problem] The amd type coolers are almost idiot proof

#4 ·
There is a guide at the top of the hw forum for problem builds. If you have not read it, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST condition.
Common errors for new builders;
1 Motherboard shorting to case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
2 The 8pin aux pw connector not plugged in
3 Incorrect install of heatsink fan [more an intel problem than an amd problem] The amd type coolers are almost idiot proof
Hey, sorry, could you link me the "hw forum for problem builds" I cannot find it.

#10 ·
1. Here is the link to the guide mentioned by my colleague
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubleshooting-guide-for-problem-builds.580000/

2. When you reply to this post please just type in box that appears. when you return to the topic. Please do not reply by clicking reply on the last post, that as you can see - quotes back what has been posted.

3. I would check again the following
A.
Also depending on make of 970 are power connections made to card - could be two six pin
B. Are you certain IF this is your FIRST build that all connections are properly made - clips in place for main power and aux power and indeed ram is clipped in
I have seen it many times when the connection has been made but not properly inserted

C. It has been reported that the processor is very particular re ram and indeed AData does not list that ram you have for that board on a compatibility search

#11 · (Edited)
#13 · (Edited)
Part Picker is OK but it is by no means always correct re ram
Rather than going for broke and changing the ram for one on the list I have just posted I would proceed with the check of all connections and then connect the speaker/sounder to the system header, as I recommended when I first replied and see if you get any error beeps

IF not and you can borrow from someone a stick of other DDR4 ram it is certainly worth a try in DIMM A2

I am going offline - goodnight and good luck with it
I am in the UK - sleep time

#14 ·
Ryzen was VERY picky regarding ram when the processor and first motherboards were released. It is much better today [after a LOT of bios updates] The second gen ryzen processors ie Pinnacle Ridge is even better. It is always a good idea to consult the motherboard support page for the qvl list of ram. This is ram that has been tested and found to work.

This is just my opinion; ryzen has incredible performance however that level of performance does require a lot of careful tuning in the bios. I have two personal systems here; an intel 7600k [overclocked to 4.5gig] and a ryzen 1700X [overclocked to 3.9gig] On single core benchmarks, the intel has a slight advantage however on any multicore bench ryzen literally blows the intel out of the water. Doubling the cinebench cpu test score. On realbench the ryzen out scores the intel by 35%
With that said, IMO ryzen is NOT for first time or inexperienced builders. With an intel, you can just slap parts together and it works. With ryzen, you need to set ram speed, ram timings, cpu voltage, cpu multi/baseclock, etc in the bios [along with testing for stability] The second gen ryzens are better however IMO it is still not as easy as an intel build.

#15 ·
Update: I took my motherboard out of the case and created a "testbench". I tested it with only 1 stick of ram, gpu, cpu and psu attached. No luck. I also tried resetting the CMOS battery which I had high hopes for, but no luck again. At this point I'm quite certain it's something wrong with my MOBO, my mate might be coming over with a 1070 to check if it will work on my board, if it doesn't, the motherboard is the problem, if it does, it's my GPU.

#16 ·
OR as I said it is the ram

#18 ·
crjdriver
Post 15 refers
Update: I took my motherboard out of the case and created a "testbench". I tested it with only 1 stick of ram, gpu, cpu and psu attached. No luck.

#19 ·
If a standoff was installed in the wrong place, it will short the motherboard to ground [provided the standoff contacts a solder trace or other electrical path] If that occurred, the board is most likely fried.
That is why I asked if they were all in the correct place.

#20 ·
#22 ·
No problem. There is a misstatement in regard to screws.
Screws do not come with motherboards; screws come with the case. The only screws that come with a motherboard are the screw or screws for a nvme M.2 drive. Those are specific to the individual motherboard family.

#21 ·
Most cases I have seen come with some standoffs already installed and the rest are in the bag with the screws, and other stuff.
If the poster installed some standoffs in the wrong holes OR one or more of the factory installed standoffs were in the wrong place, that can very easily fry a board.

While anything can fail, most DOA board failures are caused by incorrect install or physically damaging the board during install. Out of the over 500 systems I have built, I have had one DOA board [and I think the board was damaged in shipping and not really DOA from asus] The box had a pretty good size dent in one corner where someone either dropped it or kicked, etc. Newegg was great about it. I emailed a pic of the box and they sent out a new one before even receiving the DOA board.

#23 ·
Indeed well spotted
I think standoffs are preinstalled in that case and screws are provided, in the case package - I have read that standard screws, as provided with most boards, do not fit the stand-offs in the case.
I knew they did not come with the board - I read
note the standoffs installed already do not fit standard mobo screws I almost stripped one till I looked at the box of screws, with the case

and use the word with instead of for
The important point I was trying to make is that stand offs are PRE INSTALLED in that case

#25 ·
You can get the buzzer/speaker thing pictured in post #7 with the case too, along with the screws etc. so make sure you don't already have one.

If you do find or get one it should beep continuously with no ram installed but only beep once with any ram installed.

#29 ·
OK. When you receive your replacement board, go through this procedure to install in the case;
1 Remove all standoffs from the case
2 Remove the IO plate
3 Place the motherboard in the case and mark where to install standoffs. Use a pencil or sharpie
4 Remove the board and install standoffs in the hole marked ONLY
5 Install the IO plate. Now place the board in the case and rest on standoffs. Slide the board into the IO plate and secure with the screws provided with your case.

Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.