1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC gives me no Display/POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Loukes, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Loukes

Loukes Thread Starter

Hi everyone, recently I've built my own PC after ordering all the parts. It was hard but at last I got it to turn on, fans were working and LED lights were on. However, when I then tried to connect a monitor to get into the BIOS and start installing Windows 10, my monitor was receiving no signal.

Monitor's HDMI Cable is plugged into the GPU and the Monitor works fine when attached to my laptop.

Something is wrong with my new PC, but I have no idea what. Everything seems to be plugged in properly.

Any replies are appreciated, this pc is a big investment and right now I'm very scared.

PARTS -

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600 & Wraith Cooler
    MOBO: ASUS Prime B450 Plus
    GPU: GTX 970 4gb OC Edition
    RAM: XPG Gammix D10 2x4GB 3000Mhz
    PSU: Corsair TX550M
    Case: Phanteks P300 Tempered Glass
    Fan: Be Quiet! 120mm

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Am I correct in thinking that in addition to no display, you also have no keyboard activity
    If so connect keyboard PS2 if possible

Also depending on make of 970 are power connections made to card - could be two six pin

If you have no keyboard and no mouse power than it is something more than merely the graphics issue.

Do you have the 8 pin connector in place for CPU power top left of board to right of I/O ports

Carefully check all connections and if still no progress connect motherboard speaker to system panel connector and see if there are any beeps

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is a guide at the top of the hw forum for problem builds. If you have not read it, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST condition.
    Common errors for new builders;
    1 Motherboard shorting to case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
    2 The 8pin aux pw connector not plugged in
    3 Incorrect install of heatsink fan [more an intel problem than an amd problem] The amd type coolers are almost idiot proof

4. Loukes

Loukes Thread Starter

Hey, sorry, could you link me the "hw forum for problem builds" I cannot find it.

5. Loukes

Loukes Thread Starter

Yes! That is correct. My headphones receive power from the USB sockets but my Mouse and Keyboard don't. I don't have a PS2 Keyboard unfortunately.
    Yep, CPU power is all plugged in.
    How do I connect the motherboard speaker to system pannel connector?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Look at the top of the page in the hardware forum. There are a series of guides.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most cases do not come with a speaker as part of the case. They have been superseded by something like this;
    You connect it to the motherboard as per your manual.

Attached Files:

8. Loukes

Loukes Thread Starter

Thank you, I found the guide. I'm going to take the mobo out of my case and build it like that.

9. Loukes

Loukes Thread Starter

Oh alright, do I need to buy those or?

10. Macboatmaster

1. Here is the link to the guide mentioned by my colleague
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubleshooting-guide-for-problem-builds.580000/

2. When you reply to this post please just type in box that appears. when you return to the topic. Please do not reply by clicking reply on the last post, that as you can see - quotes back what has been posted.

3. I would check again the following
    A.
    B. Are you certain IF this is your FIRST build that all connections are properly made - clips in place for main power and aux power and indeed ram is clipped in
    I have seen it many times when the connection has been made but not properly inserted

C. It has been reported that the processor is very particular re ram and indeed AData does not list that ram you have for that board on a compatibility search

11. Macboatmaster

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  12. Loukes

Loukes Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, I'll follow it.

Yeah I'll double check all the cables.

Really? Can you link me those reports? I assembled my list on pcpartpicker, and it showed no errors or incompatibilities.

13. Macboatmaster

Part Picker is OK but it is by no means always correct re ram
    Rather than going for broke and changing the ram for one on the list I have just posted I would proceed with the check of all connections and then connect the speaker/sounder to the system header, as I recommended when I first replied and see if you get any error beeps

IF not and you can borrow from someone a stick of other DDR4 ram it is certainly worth a try in DIMM A2

I am going offline - goodnight and good luck with it
    I am in the UK - sleep time

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ryzen was VERY picky regarding ram when the processor and first motherboards were released. It is much better today [after a LOT of bios updates] The second gen ryzen processors ie Pinnacle Ridge is even better. It is always a good idea to consult the motherboard support page for the qvl list of ram. This is ram that has been tested and found to work.

This is just my opinion; ryzen has incredible performance however that level of performance does require a lot of careful tuning in the bios. I have two personal systems here; an intel 7600k [overclocked to 4.5gig] and a ryzen 1700X [overclocked to 3.9gig] On single core benchmarks, the intel has a slight advantage however on any multicore bench ryzen literally blows the intel out of the water. Doubling the cinebench cpu test score. On realbench the ryzen out scores the intel by 35%
    With that said, IMO ryzen is NOT for first time or inexperienced builders. With an intel, you can just slap parts together and it works. With ryzen, you need to set ram speed, ram timings, cpu voltage, cpu multi/baseclock, etc in the bios [along with testing for stability] The second gen ryzens are better however IMO it is still not as easy as an intel build.

15. Loukes

Loukes Thread Starter

Update: I took my motherboard out of the case and created a "testbench". I tested it with only 1 stick of ram, gpu, cpu and psu attached. No luck. I also tried resetting the CMOS battery which I had high hopes for, but no luck again. At this point I'm quite certain it's something wrong with my MOBO, my mate might be coming over with a 1070 to check if it will work on my board, if it doesn't, the motherboard is the problem, if it does, it's my GPU.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice