1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved New pc hard drive issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jamoe25, Apr 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Jamoe25

Jamoe25 Thread Starter

So I just recently built a new pc for the first time and it is able to boot into the BIOS perfectly fine. I have a flash drive with windows media creation tool on it and everything should be working. Under sata information it shows that I have my Kingston 120gb ssd and my WDC 1tb hard drive, but it doesn’t show them in the boot menu, or give me the option to put them in the boot order. It shows my uefi usb in the boot list but it will not actually boot into windows. I’m not sure what to do, and if other information is needed to solve the issue I’m more than happy to do what I can

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. What is the make and full model of the motherboard
    Are the 120GB and the 1TB new drives or does the 120 already have an OS on it
    The reason I ask is, that presuming the new system is UEFI firmware -if the 120GB drive is MBR from say a legacy bios windows 7 install - it will not be shown as a boot device in a UEFI system - as it cannot be a boot device
    ALSO
    IF THEY ARE NEW DRIVES they will not show in boot priority as of course they cannot be boot devices, for a similar reason
    When windows is installed on the 120GB it will then be a boot device most likely under the title
    Windows Boot Manager.
    This will explain it to you

In Native UEFI boot mode with GPT partitioning scheme (as opposed to legacy BIOS boot mode with MBR partitioning scheme) the only SSD, HD and USB drives that show up in the boot list are the ones that EITHER have Windows or other OS installed in UEFI mode. OR are bootable devices such as your usb installation media.

The bootable devices will have an EFI System partition containing the directory \EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi for removable devices like a USB drive or DVD
    and for the Windows SSD it would be \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Bootmgfw.efi.

UEFI BIOS will use these to identify what is UEFI-bootable and place them in the boot list.

If the flash drive has been made by simply downloading the media creation tool to it, it will not boot

3. You do not do that you follow this

Using the tool to create installation media:
    Select Download tool now, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
    If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
    On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC,and then select Next.
    Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.
    Select which media you want to use:
    USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

as on the link here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

4. Re this
    It does not of course
    boot into windows - it boots or should do to the installation for windows

5. You should disconnect the WD 1TB drive to ensure that no part of the install goes to that drive presuming you wish to install to the 129GB

When you reply with the make and full model of the board it may be possible to advise you regarding the possible problem with the boot

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  3. Jamoe25

Jamoe25 Thread Starter

Re: I have an asus rog h370-I mini itx. The ssd doesn’t have anything on it, it’s brand new, but it says it’s frozen. The are drice however is from an older computer I had, I will leave it unplugged until I have the ssd figured out

4. Macboatmaster

1. Please reply by typing ion the box that appears when you return to the topic not by clicking reply on my post, that as you can see quotes back all I have typed

2. You have not commented, on the installation media - is my suggestion anything to do with why the computer will not boot from the usb

3. Where are you seeing the report that the SSD is frozen - this is usually seen when you have tried to use secure erase or some other utility on the drive

If you have actually used the secure erase function in the bios - section 3.9.2 of your motherboard manual and the drive is now reported as frozen, you should still be able to install windows to the drive. IF for some reason you need to remove the frozen state, then whilst on that screen
    Remove the SATA power cable from the drive and quickly reconnect it - with the computer powered on.

4. If you have not used that secure erase but some other utility on the drive - what was it please.

5. This may help explain the issue
    https://www.disk-partition.com/ssd-management/secure-erase-frozen-ssd-3889.html

HOWEVER I cannot understand, if you have attempted secure erase, why you would so on a new drive

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  5. Macboatmaster

Re boot devices in BIOS and on post screen see section 3-8 of the manual
    On Asus logo press F8 key for boot options and then select the USB
    Boot devices in BIOS are explained in 3-20 of the manual which is page 72 of the online version

6. Jamoe25

Jamoe25 Thread Starter

1. I apologize for that, I have never used this website before
    2. I have installed it as you have said onto the usb, I just misspoke how I did it, but it is installed correctly
    3. I did try to secure erase it just to see if that would fix the problem, as I was unaware of what it did, all I knew is that it would erase it, and I thought that there might have been an issue, but I will try to unplug it and plug it back in
    4.it was secure erase that I used
    5. I will look into that link above

Thank you for your assistance and I will let you know what happens

7. Jamoe25

Jamoe25 Thread Starter

I have gotten to the windows install, the issue was it would only boot from legacy and not uefi but I changed it and now it works, thank you for the assistance!

8. Macboatmaster

Good
    I hope you mean you are installing UEFI and NOT legacy

No need for any apologies - you were not to know, about the automatic quote

9. Jamoe25

Jamoe25 Thread Starter

So I have a new issue. My computer supports WiFi and has antennas, and I think I’ve installed all the right drivers, but it doesn’t give me the option to connect wirelessly, only with an Ethernet cable

10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Is the wifi part of the motherboard or an addon card? If it's part of the motherboard, ensure it is enabled in the BIOS. If it's an addon card, check Windows Device Manager to ensure the device is listed (and that no other hardware has any errors).

11. Jamoe25

Jamoe25 Thread Starter

So I found out that the issue was that I accidentally installed the 32 bit version of windows instead of the 64 bit, I erased the ssd and installed the correct version and everything is working fine now

12. Macboatmaster

Pleased you sorted that one
    Mark the topic solved please click mark solved on your opening post - when you are satisfied that all is OK
    If you then discover problems and the topic is still open mark it unsolved and post.

If the topic has been closed then simply start a new topic.
    Good luck with it

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice