1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trtreiber, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trtreiber

Trtreiber Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I've just spent A BUNCH of money on trying to build a new PC and am havingEXTREME problems with getting it to work completely, or just in general,without issues.

Here's the history-

1.- bought all of the following components for the new PC

Power Supply- OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply - 600-Watt, Modular,Dual +12V Rails, SATA, 80Plus
    Motherboard-MSI 970A-G46 AMD 9 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN,USB 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX Ready
    Hard Drive- WD Black 500 GB Internal Hard Drive - 3.5" FormFactor, SATA III 6Gb/s, 64MB Cache, 7200 RPM, RoHS Compliant (WD5003AZEX)
    Video Card- HIS IceQ H785Q2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    Solid State Drive- Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC 7mmInternal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Processor- AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125WEight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX
    Memory- Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC315000) Desktop Memory Model PV316G186C0K
    Blu Ray Player- New- unsure of whichtype- but BRAND NEW
    Case- COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATXFull Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mmfront RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan
    Operating System- Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
    2. Put all of the components together with afriend who knows how to do it
    (he has helped me build another PC in the pastwith no issues and has experience)

3.- originally installed Windows 8 (base) onthe new PC- installed on the SSD 128 GB drive
    It worked at first (very fast) but I HATED theway it operated like a lot of poeple do so I sent it back for Windows 7 Proinstead
    extra note- even when installing Win 8 firsttime had issues with installing (would stop during the middle of installation)so had to do twice

4.- got the copy of Windows 7 Pro andinstalled it AFTER reformatting the SSD completely
    During this process was having issues during"expanding windows files" process where it got to a certainpercentage through and gave some sort of error about files being corrupt.

5.- eventually got the Win 7 Pro OS to installall the way
    Everything pulled up correctly but continuedto give me errors about not being able to activate

6.- did another complete re-install (afterformatting the SSD again)
    Had same issues of problems during"expanding windows files", but kept pursisting and eventually got itgo install fully
    Was able to get it to activate (beleive therewas something from the Win 8 OS before that was screwing it up)

7.- Installed the drives for the Video Cardand Motherboard (chipset, LAN, audio) and had it up and running

8.- after this I continued to get errors (BlueScreen of Death) where Windows would just shut down for no apparent reason andrestart
    Gave me reasons like "MemoryManagement" or "IRQL something" or "Service Exception",or even a few times did not give any reason at all

9.- Called Microsoft directly and had themtake remote control of the system to check it, but they did not help at all(took a really long time to look at things and never gave me any answeres).After they got done and said to "simply re-install" again, was unableto even get windows to load.

10.- Re-installed AGAIN, but instead used theWD HDD 500GB because I was assuming that it was an issue with the SSD drive andmaybe installing too many times? (I'm unfamiliar with the way SSD drives workbut know that they make a HUGE diffrence in speed that I saw) - got a 7.7 inthe WIE with the SSD and a 5.9 with the HDD
    At first had an issue with it installing wherea BSOD came up
    Checked online at proceedure and used"command prompt" to try and fix things
    Used
    C:
    Bootrec/fixmbr
    Bootrec/fixboot
    Said completed successfully
    After this, it installed fine without anyhiccups or issues during the "expanding files" part of it.
    After the install (prior to instaling thedivers for the Vdeo card and Chipset) I did get another BSOD at first, but didnot give reasoning as to why wasn't working.

11.- used the Windows Memory Diagnostic toolto check each of the 8GB memory chips individually and it said that one of themwas corrupt and the other one was fine.

12.- After this was unable to get Windows toload Internet Explorer at all and was having no real luck with using WindowsUpdate (would freeze or have not work at all)

And that lead me up to the current situationwhere I don't know what to do.

Extra notes- Was able to install World ofWarcraft during the FIRST Windows 7 install and it ran PERFECT with no glitchesand no BSOD- so I don't think it's a video card issue- this time also includedusing BOTH 8GB memory sticks.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciatedbecause I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks
    Tracy T

2. Krash

Krash

11.- used the Windows Memory Diagnostic toolto check each of the 8GB memory chips individually and it said that one of themwas corrupt and the other one was fine.

Are these two modules still plugged into the computer? If so its recommended that the modules be RMA'd.
    If its a kit have the whole kit replaced. Faulty memory modules are a cause for BSOD frequently. Its probably in fact pointless to try and fix this before the RMA.

If you'd like to test your memory further (recommended) try memtest from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html
    Read their FAQ before you start - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/support.html

3. replay

replay Temporarily Banned

as mentioned above, whenever i have had issues installing a operating system it is USUALLY bad memory
    ....the windows memory check u have run points to bad memory too!!
    patriot are very good when it comes to replacing memory as is newegg if its before the 30 day mark
    so don't get to discouraged once u replace the memory i think all will be well with your new system

4. Trtreiber

Trtreiber Thread Starter

Ok, so I reset the Mbr by taking out he battery for a while and replacing it.

On top of that, I hooked up the SSD only to begin a fresh install

Along with this, I left in ONLY the one stick of 8gb memory that tested OK, left out the "bad" one.

During the fesh install, it got to appx. 20% or so into the "expanding windows files" then came up with this screen attached and stopped.

Any ideas next?

Attached Files:

5. replay

replay Temporarily Banned

tested ok with windows check OR memtest???

send the memory (all of it) back and have it replaced

6. Krash

Krash

Source:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/bedda1cf-2837-42be-bc99-2c514a658692?auth=1

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first of all, I see a few issues here;
    1 This board has the newer EUFI type bios. This can cause problems when attempting to boot with an older os disk ie win7. Check your bios and see if it has a legacy mode for the bios.
    2 Next issue
    Formatting a ssd is really pointless. A ssd should be secure erased NOT formatted. I use parted magic linux to do the secure erase on ssd type drives.
    3 Next issue is the mb bios. The fx8350 is only supported by the 110 bios. Since that was only released a few months ago, I doubt your board has that bios. In any case, make sure your mb has either the 110 or 111 bios.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item however I doubt this is causing your problem. Your pw supply. We recommend corsair [not builder series] pcpower&cooling, seasonic, or FSP pw supplies. Here is an example of why we do so.

If you look at the specs for your pw supply, it shows two 12V rails rated @25amp each. Most people would think they have a total of 50amp available on the 12V rail. Well that is NOT the case. If you do the math [VxA=W] Ohms formula of volts times amps equals watts you would think you have 600W. Take a look at the spec and you will see that ocz limited the combined 12V rails to 504W. This is where your 600W pw supply is not really 600W.

This slight of hand is done by a LOT of pw supply makers AND why we recommend only the above referenced units.

Attached Files:

• pw.jpg
      pw.jpg
      File size:
      217.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice