1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New pc need help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TransfatBatman, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TransfatBatman

TransfatBatman Thread Starter

So I just bought a new rig that will be going in my room and obviously i need to connect it to the internet. My room however is on the 2nd floor and the router is in the basement. How do i go about wiring it? Can I move the router? Are there router extenders? Basically looking for the easiest way to a wired connection without running wires all over the place.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may be able to use powerline adapters

they plug into the mains socket and use the mains electrical wiring of the house to carry the network signal

The quality of the signal, speed and if they work will depend on the quality of your electrical circuit

3. TransfatBatman

TransfatBatman Thread Starter

well the guy who owned the house before us wired the house hiimself so it isnt ideal

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well, so long as he did a quality job
    And you need that in electrics for safety anyway

at least the wiring is not 40 years old

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I live in a house that was built in 1955. I use powerline adapters like this
    [​IMG]
    My husband had two computers (with a switch attached to the one adapter) wired in the basement that connect to the other adpater wired to the router on the first floor.

He is now down to one computer in the basement that goes on the internet.

The setup has worked well for us for many years.

Any brand should work fine, provided both outlets are on the same side of the breaker box.
    I chose NetGear because as I read reviews, this seemed the easiest to set up.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice