New Pc = New problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Doom_Machine

ive reinstalled xp 7 times now cuz of this within 2 weeks

i built an athlon 64 4000 with expox 9nda3+ nforce 3 mobo/ corsair 1gh xms dual channel/6800gt/ raptors in raid 0

each different install at a random time for no apparant reason my Explorer crashes, it then of course restarts but after that i cannot open anything, every click crashes explorer except whats currently running and task manager which shows Drwtson32 start when explorer crashes, i shut that task down to restart explorer.
everything works fine in safemode, luckily this last time system restore was able to save me...ive narrowed it down to 4 possible things

on one install of xp sp1 i only installed the following: audio driver/isp netzero/reget deluxe (download manager), when it crashed i uninstalled audio driver and it had no effect so i was forced to reinstall. it almost seems each time it does it i was online but cant remember if it was in all instances...i have firewall but not all the windows updates, just sp2
so is there a virus that exploits a flaw in xp or is it actually possible that my audio driver (latest version of AC'97) would work fine for a period of time then cause that problem?

i'm trying to download win updates now but if it happens again i may be at a loss to narrow the problem down much farther

Were all these "clean" installs, or overinstalls?

Was a firewall immediately enabled BEFORE going online? This is absolutely necessary if the original XP version is less than SP2. In SP2 the firewall is enabled by default.

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Doom_Machine

clean install
firewall installed before going online

as i mentioned on one install i had just sp1, my isp,reget and audio driver, within 10 minutes of being online explorer crashed, next install i updated to latest version of audio codec, worked for 5 hours before it happened again which i was online then too, i system restored and it hasnt happened since....seems odd that audio driver or any driver would do this so thats why i suspected a microsoft exploit...which would bypass a firewall, like how the blaster virus does but once it happens i have no way of updating a viruscanner

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts