1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC No Power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeheathuk, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeheathuk

joeheathuk Thread Starter

Hi folks just started a pc build. have asus a8v mobo, amd athlon 64bit 3200 and 400watt psu. however it dosn't power up! :( tried stripping down to barebones however same problem. everything is connected up fine as i've checked twice over. the mobo led comes on fine and emitts 1 small beep which usually meas everything is working fine. however even the case fans and the psu fan don't start up. i've tried my monitor cable with the psu so i know it aint that. could it be the psu itself? Cheers in advance :)

2. joeheathuk

Ok eliminated psu as it works fine on this computer. any other sugestions?

3. gaftop1

gaftop1

might try taking the battery out for about 20 minutes to let it clear and try again

4. joeheathuk

What effect will taking the battery out have? is this the same as clearing the cmos? Cheers Gaftop1.

5. gaftop1

gaftop1

no it clears everything and takes it back to like a new board. are all the jumpers set correctly

6. joeheathuk

yeah jumpers are set properly. I've took the battery out for now and will test it soon. i'm really baffled because should the case fans when plugged directly into the PSU not start up even if no power is going to the mobo. cheers.

7. gaftop1

gaftop1

think the mb triggers all the electrical everywhere else. not sure. when fans are plugged into psu they don't come on until the mb is triggered.

8. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Sounds like the mobo is grounding out on the case somewhere, most likely on a misplaced standoff. Try the mobo outside of the case (on a non-conductive surface), connecting only the processor, one stick of ram, monitor, keyboard and mouse to see if it will POST. If it does check the placement of the standoffs.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

9. joeheathuk

Thanks. Hopefully it is only being grounded as you's sugested and nothing serious wrong with mobo. Will try tomorrow nite and post back as i'm off to bed as have work early tomorrow :( . Cheers again. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice