1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new pc not getting power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acpo, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

specs:
    K8N Neo Platinum MSI MS-7030 Motherboard
    Athlon 3400+ 64
    1 GB DDR400
    Radeon 9800Pro
    ANTEC P-160WF case

it's not getting any video. I've tried two video cards and two monitors. no change. (both monitors and video cards work fine on other systems, too)

checked all the cables, everything seems fine

suggestions?

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you have checked everything, reseated everything and it is still not posting I would take a wild guess at the motherboard shorting to the case.

3. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

was an error in title... meant that it wasn't getting video, not wasn't getting power

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Are you getting a POST beep? Any beeps?

5. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

no beeps

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The reason I am asking about beeps is because the machine will give a beep from the speaker if it is powering on correctly. If it isn't try unhooking everything but the video card. Of course the CPU and ram will stay in place also.

This is a minimal boot.

If you have everything unhooked and you still get no POST then the place to look is the mounting of the board itself. I have had to pull the board before, set it on the box it came in so it doesn't ground out outside the case and try to get a POST that way.

It sucks because you blow an hour pulling the board, testing and reinstalling but it goes with the territory.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Well, if you have reseated everything. If you have tried the minimal boot then the board is most likely grounding to the case. You may have to pull the board.

First try minimal like I described above. If it doesn't work pull the board and try it outside the case sitting on the box it came in. I know that sucks but it may be necessary.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I am going to run. I have to crash. I'll check on you tomorrow. Somebody will help you out if you need it. We have members from around the world so somebody is always awake.

Try what I posted and good night. It is 1.37 am and I am beat.

9. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

usually when I have a problem with it shorting to the case it can be fixed by just taking the motherboard off and putting everything back..

tried that, no luck.

is it really safe to have it running sitting on top of a box?

I'm tempted to just drop it off at best buy and pay them to sort it out at this point :(

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I have done it quite a few times. The thing is as is mentioned in another post, it could also be a bad PSU. If you are sure of the power supply it is worth a shot setting up outside the box. As long as you make sure it isn't touching anything conductive it is safe.

11. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

assuming that is the problem (shorting to the case), what would I even be able to do to prevent it though?

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Usually reinstalling the board fixes it all by itself. Sometimes people make the mistake of putting a standoff where a standoff doesn't go and it shorts the board to ground.

I have put an asus an78x-x in a case and got the no post you have. I pulled the board and checked my standoffs. None out of place, so I got her to post on the box. I reinstalled the board and it posted with no problems.

Like I said, if you have exhausted all other causes you are down to pulling the board. Maybe somebody else will have another idea but at the moment I don't.

13. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

well I figured it might be the grounding to the case problem, so I did reinstall the motherboard and made positive there were no extra standoffs touching the board. I never tried it out of the box, though.

I could try it out of the box but it just seems futile since if it DID work then, the answer would be to reinstall the motherboard.. which I already did :(

14. nj12nets

nj12nets

wait try to hit the reset button on the front the case, cause ive had a problem similar that it will start w/o video and i still have it but if i hit the reset button its good

15. acpo

acpo Thread Starter

if on-the-box didn't even work, would that mean the motherboard's probably bad?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice