1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New pc not seeing adsl modem router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fugi1967, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fugi1967

fugi1967 Thread Starter

Hi There

Newbie to these forums but have done some research within but can not find answer.

I have just purchased a Dell optiplex sx270 running XP home sp 3 from ebay for a friend.Before giving it I have updated it on my home network connected to my cable modem and router with no problems.

Taking it to her house the pc will not see her Maplin adsl2+ usb modem 4 port router/switch which works fine with her previous pc. I have tried connecting via USB and ethernet to no avail. I just get the cable is disconnected message/low connectivity.Whilst this is happeneing the modem-router looses the adsl light and searches across the 4 inputs.

At this point I found this lovely forum where a common starting point seems to be to do a stack reset so I did this as directed but to no avail.

I have done ip config onto a word document but cant work out how to upload it to here.

However none of the normal ip stuff is on there as it says media disconnected for the local area connection.

Hope you can help

Regards.

Fugi

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it works with a wired connection at your place, and it doesn't work at the new location with a wired connection, there are limited options.

• The cable is bad.
    • The port on the router is bad.

I'm assuming that other computers connect successfully to this new environment, is that correct?

3. fugi1967

fugi1967 Thread Starter

This is the only Pc that is connected. It is puzzling me too. I can't work out why it is picking up DHCP from 1 router but not seeing or picking up from another which has proved to be working.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you got me too. Perhaps if I were looking right at it, I'd see something, but I don't see anything obvious from your description.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think JW is right. It has to be either a cable, or the modem itself.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752181