1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC, old monitor wont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IBwebin, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IBwebin

IBwebin Thread Starter

I just got a brand new eMachines T2460. I could not offord the monitor and have a Packard Bell 1010...FCC ID:BEJCP480, made in 1996. When I connect this monitor, it displays fine, until Windows starts (XP) and then the display goes dark. Do I need to get a driver for this monitor, or what? This monitor looks as if it just came out of the box and has beautiful color upon boot. I really would appreciate some help using it.

Thanks in advance!

2. torgo

torgo

do you get all the normal bios text stuff while booting?

3. IBwebin

IBwebin Thread Starter

Yes, I get the BIOS text, but only for a few seconds. Not long enough to read it. Now, I have an old DELL monitor which works fine with this machine, so I am thinking DRIVER.

4. Dynochem

Dynochem

Try going in using F8 to SAFE mode & see if you get a display.
    It may be a driver problem... but I'm thinking the monitor maybe cant operate at the refresh rate XP is throwing into it (either too low or too high)
    I have a couple of 1995 monitors that work fine in '98 but wont take the 3D tricks XP pushes at it.

5. IBwebin

IBwebin Thread Starter

Yes, It displays fine in SAFE mode. I already tried that. It wouldn't display on my other PC, which was runnung 98, either. But this monitor is only a 96 model, and not that old. Is there a solution?

6. Dynochem

Dynochem

It displays in safe mode... so it's almost certainly the refresh rate thats the problem.
    Older monitors (pre Win 98) were only capable of around 56Hz refresh.
    All graphics cards around that time could support that low refresh rate.
    Everything nowadays (cards & monitors) run at around 70-85 Hz.
    If you know someone with an older PC running DOS or Win95 try it hooked up to their PC. I bet it works fine.
    I have 15" IBM's from around that time that I cant hook up to anything modern even though they work perfectly with older PCs
    See if you can find the monitor's spec on the Packard -Bell site. It may tell you the maximum refresh rate.
    If it's only 56Hz... get a new monitor

7. realdragon

realdragon

winXP doesn't support such old monitor.
    to change to win98 will be OK

8. IBwebin

IBwebin Thread Starter

Thanks, People! I guess I'll chuck the monitor.

9. torgo

torgo

don't chuck it, many schools or charity groups will gladly take it and put it to good use. Look on the net there are organizations that would love to have any old pc parts.

10. IBwebin

IBwebin Thread Starter

You got it, brother. I'll donate it. Thanks Guys!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice