1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IgneousPrime, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IgneousPrime

IgneousPrime Thread Starter

Hey all. I ordered all my parts from new egg a few days ago (It'll be here Monday), and I was wondering what I should do once I get it. Download the latest drivers for all my hardware, etc etc, but is there anything I should do to break it in? Maybe leave it on overnight doing a CPU intensive task? Or is that a bad idea? I just want to know what to do to break it in and make sure everything is stable. Maybe there's a possible program for that?

Sorry for all the questions, Thanks :)

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening , operational tests can be complex and stressing which in many cases could be useful but for a new system to give it a little bit of easy "flight time" you probably won't go past a decent memory comprehensive test.
    If you make a bootable media with this Memtest86 program and leave it reun for ten hours or so you will be well served.
    http://www.memtest.org/
    Actually it would be preferable to do this before you load your operating system, the system will not be under any excessive stress, and it is a good idea.

Accept no errors, if any errors show, do not load your operating system.

Others will have different ideas.

Cheers, qldit.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

30-nil to the Wallabies at half time, qldit...?
    What did you do, inflict food poisoning or just let them try the local beer first?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

What I would do is assemble ram,cpu,and video card psu outside of case first and see if it posts first . If it does...."Showtime"!!!!

5. qldit

qldit

Good Morning All, with new electrical components we found that leaving systems powered and operating for a 24 hours soak really had benefit weeding out those items that failed in the first initial few hours.
    So IgneousPrime, your idea is not without merit.

Very few people ever think this way these days, reliability has gotten pretty good.

Good morning Kiwi, I can't understand why our chaps couldn't have done that with the Kiwis last week! (Must have been the beer! It wasn't NZ stuff in a tanker truck!)
    The amazing thing is the Springboks will probably give you fellows hell!
    Final was 46!
    Pleasant morning here 0900, 22C calm and sunny. (How is Siberia!)
    Cheers, qldit.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice