1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by waddles262, Jan 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. waddles262

waddles262 Thread Starter

I am thinking of getting a new PC and have been reading up on processors, PC configs. etc. I would like to get a system that I can use to:

1. Import and edit my family videos from my video Camera and then put them on DVDs
    2. Import and store pictures from my digital camera (some minor editing like resizing, eliminating red eyes, some skin tone adjustments)
    3. Run some games for my daughter
    4. Do some word processing, contact management, calendaring, Quicken, email - basic PC functions.
    5. Surf the Net

I won't be watching TV programs on the PC.

I have seen ads for AMD Athlon 64 and Pentium 4 HT processor-based PCs. Is one better than the other for the tasks outlined above?

What minimum configuration would you recommend for the tasks above? (processor, RAM, HDD, video card, CD, DVD writer, etc.)

I have a budget of around $750-900 for the CPU without the monitor. I don't need a superfast top of the line machine, just something adequate for above tasks.

Any brands I should stay away from? Or brands I should consider? I've personally had good luck with DELLs.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you are going to buy a big name computer I'd say Dell. If you want a better machine than Dell, I'd go with Micron now MPC.

www.buympc.com

3. fishhookz

fishhookz

Depends. If you were talking about DIY, I'd recommend quality parts. Otherwise, go with a mid-range Dell system. Not those Celerons with 128MB RAM.

No need for 64 or HT for what you do. You'd want a P4 2.4 Ghz or faster CPU, Asus motherboard, 512MB RAM or more, 80GB or larger hard disk, ATI All-In-Wonder or a 3D card + a TV card with video/audio input, Microsoft keyboard & optical mouse, 400 Watts power supply, memory card reader, LG DVD burner, etc.

A TV card available at BestBuy, CompUSA, etc. usually comes with software for capturing video & audio, and maybe editing. Saves you money on that. Unless you'll have Windows Media Center, which has a basic movie maker.

Get an APC surge suppressor or UPS.

If you must, get at least a Celeron-D 2.4 Ghz or faster.

4. WarC

WarC

I'll throw one in for Dell as well, if building a machine or having a friend build one for a small fee is out of the question.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't recommend the Celeron, get a Pentium 4 or Athlon XP/64. A Gig of RAM probably wouldn't hurt for video editing/encoding. And I'll thro in another vote for Dell.

If you have a camera with USB, Firewire, or DVD discs then you don't need a video capture card but rather a firewire card(not standard on most Dell's), or USB ports or a DVD drive which the computer would already have.

6. rodeognome

rodeognome

I'll give Dell a vote as well as long as you specify you don'nt want a
    Seagate Drive with it.

I've seen them fail when only 15 - 24 months old.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

I've seen dozens of drives from every manufacturer fail well before that.

8. rodeognome

rodeognome

Triple6, who do find makes the worst ?

9. brite750

brite750

I've had one for 48 months not a problem, WD is junk in that case people have been complaining about them for 2 years. I think you can always get a lemon, no matter what it is, and with Dell your not going to be able to cherry-pick, you gets what the gives ya.

10. brite750

brite750

Hey i didnt know that, i thought micron disappeared off the face of the earth, they use to make really good CAD workstations, many a year ago.

11. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

Hmm...I've seen Maxtor drives fail within weeks, and I've seen Quantums fail right out of the box. In fact, I've seen more Maxtor failures than I have ever seen Seagate/WD combined.

Besides, everyone knows that hard drives are not a safe way of storing data. If it's that important, print a hard copy or get a tape drive and store the gold there, not on the hard drive. Hard drives were never intended to be a permanent storage medium.

12. rodeognome

rodeognome

lol - yeah, should only be put in toy computers!

13. brite750

brite750

that just means thery're all crap...stop scaring me, i've had mine for about a year now.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    All hard drives are pretty much equal and have similar failure rates. I used many WD drives and they're just as good as every other drive.

Lets see how many IDE hard drive manufacturers there are:
    Maxtor, WD, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi, ? Thats slim picking.

IBM(now hitachi) use to be drooled over but then they had a large batch of bad drives. Fujitsu doesn't even make desktop IDE drives anymore.

Tape drives aren't that reliable either, tapes have to be replaced quite often as well.

15. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Basically, have your important info on many different media because one of htem is bound to fail sometime, no matter what it is

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/314846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice