1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC Router/Network Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by patmac, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Hi,
    We have a new PC in bound and I'm wondering what's the best way to go as far as making a local network. I'm new to this, so I hope the questions will make sense.
    Presently we are using Verizon FiOS. From the drop to the Actiontec MI424WR router is a CAT5 cable, then to the computer.
    The new PC will be upstairs, about 20 feet away, as is being shipped with an Internal PCI 802.11g wireless network card.
    Will the router I have be enough? We also have a brand new Netgear WGR614.
    The Verizon tech that did the install is a neighbor, and said if I ever need another drop, to let him know, and he would do it for me. So, would it be better for another drop?
    One last question about LANs; since the new PC will be for the kids, how do I keep what ends up on their computer from also ending up on the main PC?
    I realize a primer in routers and home networks may be needed here.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. 00trav

00trav

i don't know if this will help, but at my house we have a cable modem hooked up to a linksys router, then i have another dlink wireless router plugged into the linksys. The firewalls on the router keep the networks separate. Also you can configure the firewalls to allow what you want though (ie block bit torrent or other p2p, or block certain domains). This will allow you to have access but limit the wireless users (ie your kids). i know this can be done with one router, but if you have two, its pretty easy.

3. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

You should be fine as far as wireless range.

You shouldn't have a problem with data going to your children's computer ending up on yours. The router should (Unless you have, like, the first wireless router ever made) send data only to a certain IP address/MAC address. It's not like you will be browsing, say, Verizon's website and a PBS Kids page will appear instead of the proper Verizon webpage. You can certainly intercept traffic going to other computers, but you would have to be doing that intentionally.

4. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

I forgot to mention the existing PC is XP Home SP2, the new one will be Vista Home Premium, should this be a possible source of LAN problems? Thanks.

5. 00trav

00trav

if all you are looking to do is connect to the internet through the wireless router, you are totally fine. just make sure you encrypt your network with WPA or WPA2 so that people don't get on your network you don't want to. if you plug in through a cat5 cable to your dlink. type in the router ip (normally 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 unless you changed it), then password, uname: admin pword: password (at least that is the default for dlink, if you changed it, use your username and password). click on the wireless button and select wpa for encryption and choose a password. notice the SSID (the name of the network) and connect with the new machine. none of these changes will affect a computer hardwired (through cat5) only wireless machines.

if you are looking to set up a small home network to share files and printers then its a little more complicated. if you are looking to do this let me know and i will give you a run down, its not hard but requires more then a few steps.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice