1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved New PC: Very specific audio problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nixellus, Jun 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. nixellus

nixellus Thread Starter

Hey, just got a new pc and I've tried troubleshooting but I'm at a loss already. Any tips and suggestions are appreciated. I might have missed out something obvious, so please point them out!

Problem:

Everytime I put my earpiece (EDIT: Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear M2 IEi, tested with another earpiece Back Bay EQ40, both have integrated microphones) into the headphone jack on the front of the chassis, it works fine 10% of the time, but when it doesnt, my mic doesnt work and gives a screeching sound when I put "Listen to this device" under sounds (I'll link a video showing the audio when it bugs out and when its fine), and people can't hear me talking on the mic, and the computer detects the red microphone jack instead.

But when it does work, its fine (no screeching, mic is clear, and green headphones jack detected). This is with realtek drivers installed.

LINK:

When I have tried uninstalling the drivers/re-installing fresh win10 (I presume now it uses the default drivers?), it then changes into this problem where my audio input keeps glitching back and forth intermittently (I'll link videos to show this)

I have tried re-installing the drivers back, and it goes back to the first problem.

LINKS: ,

Is this a hardware issue? Has anyone encountered this before? I highly doubt it to be the 'double audio issue' that I see on google, but any input is appreciated.

I have tried:

- Testing with updated drivers of everything (i could think of!)

- Re-installing windows 10

- Resetting PC (remove data/remove data+wipe drives)

- SFC scannow

- Uninstalling/re-installing audio drivers (tested with default drivers and realtek)

- Also tried uninstalling device and updating driver -> browse my computer for local software -> let me pick from a list... -> HD Audio Device

- Also tried disabling front panel, disabling the dialog, everything in RealTek HD Audio Manager

- Pretty much everything Google gives me when i search for 'double audio win10'

Hardware:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MOBO: Asrock B450M Steel Legend

Ram: 2x 8GB Klevv Bolt X 3200MHz

SSD: 240GB Lexar NM600 M.2 NVME

HDD: 1TB Toshiba 7200PRM

Power Supply: EVGA G+ Supernova 650W 80+ Modular

Chassis: Cooler Master MB520

I suspect its a hardware issue? Issue exists even with clean re-install!

Many thanks in advance! plz send help

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You do not appear to have told us the make and full model of the earpiece or whatever actual equipment it is

3. nixellus

nixellus Thread Starter

I've edited the original post. Its a Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear, tested with another earpiece as well - Back Bay EQ40, both give the same problem

4. Macboatmaster

There appears to be a number of such products under that heading
    https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/product-information
    is there a specific model

Did they work OK in the old computer and was that Windows 10

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to check;
    1 How do you have the front audio configured in the bios? It can usually be set for either HD or AC97.
    2 Did you install the latest chipset or AIO driver from the asrock site prior to installing any audio driver?

6. nixellus

nixellus Thread Starter

Ah, didnt notice the model name, its M2 IEi! Yup. worked normally on previous computer!

7. nixellus

nixellus Thread Starter

1. I would have to get back to you on this! Can't access my computer yet.
    2. Apologies, not too familiar with the drivers for the mobo, but ive installed the first 3 (AMD, Realtek HD audio and Realtek LAN) from this link from the asrock website: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Steel Legend/index.us.asp#Download
    I did install realtek audio drivers prior to realising these mobo drivers and installing them, but i've done re-installs of windows and problem persists

8. Macboatmaster

See manual and check please

High Definition Audio supports Jack Sensing, but the panel wire on the chassis must support HDA to function correctly. Please follow the instructions in our manual and chassis manual to install your system.

2. If you use an AC’97 audio panel, please install it to the front panel audio header by the steps below: A. Connect Mic_IN (MIC) to MIC2_L.
    B. Connect Audio_R (RIN) to OUT2_R and Audio_L (LIN) to OUT2_L.
    C. Connect Ground (GND) to Ground (GND).
    D. MIC_RET and OUT_RET are for the HD audio panel only. You don’t need to connect them for the AC’97 audio panel.
    E. To activate the front mic, go to the "FrontMic" Tab in the Realtek Control panel and adjust "Recording Volume".

I will look at that specific model of the earphones

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you install windows, it should be done in the following order;
    1 Install the operating system
    2 Install the chipset or motherboard driver
    3 Install sound, nic/lan driver
    4 Install video driver
    Failure to install the motherboard driver first can result in the following drivers not config correctly.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Off for work for a few days. Good luck.

11. Macboatmaster

I see my colleague has come in on the topic
    I will leave you with him he is very good
    Not knowing what he is looking at, there is no point in me wasting my time, looking at the model you have provided, as he may be doing the same.
    Good luck with it

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One last item before I leave [going out the door and I remembered something] Asrock boards are prone to bios corruption and it causes any number of issues. I have run into this on a few builds. How to clear the bios correctly;
    1 System OFF and pw cord removed press the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply caps
    2 Open the case and clear cmos with the clear pins. Read your manual as to where these are located
    3 Remove the cmos battery for at least 5min
    4 Replace battery, side cover and pw cord
    5 Pw ON and enter the bios. Set date, and any other custom settings you need. Note on first pw ON after the above procedure, it will take approx 20 seconds or longer to complete POST. That is normal
    Really leaving now....

13. Macboatmaster

Am I not correct in thinking that these earphones are actually designed for
    convenient in-line remote is optimised for use with iPhone/iPod/iPad devices (M2 IEi) or with Samsung Galaxy (M2 IEG) to control calls and music with the touch of a button.

The IE meaning in ear and the I meaning as shown iPhone etc.
    as against the IEG as shown
    As far as I can see these earphones are
    Momentum In Ear -
    Impedance
    18 ohm
    If so my guess is that the impedance 18ohm is not really suitable

I cannot find a definite spec but am I right in thinking that these Momentum ones include a integrated microphone, but have only one jack
    If so
    The big obstacle to using your nice headphones or earbuds with a desktop PC is that most full-sized desktops separate headphone and microphone jacks, while phones and laptops combine them into a single 3.5mm port. So, you can either plug them into a desktop’s headphone audio-out port and listen or plug them into the microphone-in port and use them to speak—but, not both.

I apologise if I am on the wrong tack

14. nixellus

nixellus Thread Starter

Ok! Will remember. Thanks!

15. nixellus

nixellus Thread Starter

Ah, yes it has a mic, as well as the Back Bay earpiece. I also just remembered that upon testing (plugging into the headphone jack), I noticed in HD Audio Manager that the mic jack is lit up (like the red circle indicating the mic jack lights up). At this point the audio plays through speakers and earpiece, along with the weird squeaking mic sound. If it plugs in correctly, the green headphone jack is lit up!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice