1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC, won't show display randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dapperdrake, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dapperdrake

dapperdrake Thread Starter

Hi,

I just assembled my new PC today and here's what happened:

When I first turned it on, it didn't show display and the monitor said "no DVI signal"
    So I tried some things like using a DVI > VGA converter that came with the graphic card.. re-putting the memory in, re-putting the graphic card in, making sure all connectors are correct, and all the time the same issue.

Then, since my graphic card needs 2 3-pin connectors from the power supply, I tried switching those connectors around cause it looked like one was an extension of the other one, like this: [​IMG]

And to my suprise cause it didn't really make sense to me, it worked after I switched them around. So I installed windows, installed some other things and about 2 hours later, I shut the computer down, turned it back on and to my disappointment it had the same issue again.
    Now the whole night I've been asking friends, looking online to see if I can find something but i'm totally clueless here, up until now it has been randomly switching from working to not working, it's incredibly frustrating.

Everything else (as far as I can tell since i can't see if it boots when having no display and i don't have a speaker for the mainboard) seems to be working when i boot it up.
    The only weird thing is that the CPU fan seems to have trouble starting up when i boot the PC, it does like 2 ticks trying to spin but it doesn't, and then it suddenly starts spinning up to like 3k rpm and then slows down again. The graphic card's fans kind of do it too but only like 1 tick. The chassis fans work perfectly fine.

Here's my specs:
    mainboard: ASUS H97-PRO
    cpu: Intel i5-4690 3.5 ghz
    graphic card: sapphire radeon R9 270X Dual-X 4 GB
    memory: Corsair vengeance 1600 mhz 2x4 GB
    hdd: Seagate SSHD 1 TB sata-III
    power supply: Cooler Master GM550W 80plus bronze

I'm really hoping somebody has an idea what's going on.. thanks in advance.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, your video card needs two 6pin connectors; not two 3pin connectors. Each connector is supposed to supply a minimum of 75W.
    Have you done an out of case build to see if you can reliably get the board to post? If not, do so. If you can get it to post repeatedly, then install it in the case and again see if it will post with no drives, etc connected. If it does, then connect each device one at a time. If it does not post in the case and posts fine out of the case, then you know you have a mounting problem.

3. dapperdrake

dapperdrake Thread Starter

You're right, i meant 6 pin. I have tried unplugging the HDD and it was the same problem, just now the problem kept persisting and i took out the graphic card, then it immediately worked on onboard DVI.
    But i still don't know what is the problem.. i guess i'll have to keep trying on onboard DVI to see if issue occurs then too, because it might just randomly work now as it did before.

And what do you mean by mounting problem?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Exactly what it says. If you have a standoff in the wrong place, the mb shorts and will not work. That is why I told you to do an out of the case build. There are detailed instructions for this task at the top of the hw forum under the thread "problem builds" there is also a guide as to what to do to find the cause of your problem. If you follow ALL steps of the guide, you will find the cause of your problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice