1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Pc wont work!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jozza800, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jozza800

jozza800 Thread Starter

Ive recently just purchased a new motherboard AZN266-VM, a new CPU AMD athlon 2000xp. and a new case ATX. i aslo have used HDD and Cddrives of an old computer.

Ive hooked it all up and nothing!

The Motherboard LED is on so there is power getting through, there are no beeps, which isnt a good sign. There is no case fan but that shouldnt really matter.

On power up should the CPU fan start spinning?

Also, in the manual it says

'c, System power (if u are using an ATX (i am) power supply, you need to switch on the power supply aswell as pressing the power switch on the front of the chassis.)

Does this mean there is a power switch somewher i dont know about?

Any help would be grateful

2. n2gun

n2gun

You may find there is a switch on the back of the case where the psu is attached. But if you have a light coming on when you power it from the front it The switch must be on already. Check to see if there is a switch there marked 115 - 230. This should be set to 115.

Also the mother board may be shorted to the case by one of the standoffs. Try powering it with nothing but cpu, memory and video and see what happens. If still nothing detach it from the case and set in on a piece of cardboard to keep it from shorting and try it.

The cpu fan should turn when you power up. So shoukld the fan in the psu. watch for these as an indication og power.

3. jozza800

jozza800 Thread Starter

No the CPu fan doesnr work, nothing happens, ive tried hooking it up to an older pc but the same i think it might be the CPU i couldnt find any extra switches near the power supply either.

What happens if the cpu is scratched say! Would that have any adverse affect. I might of damaged it when putting the heat sink and fan on.

4. dud

dud Guest

It might be something as simple as the CMOS jumper needs resetting, or even the actual power switch cable from switch to motherboard...you might have it plugged onto the wrong pins? I've done that myself before.
    :cool:

5. n2gun

n2gun

some boards are shipped with a jumper near the cpu that needs to be moved. I believe it is the one to clear the bios. I would check this next to see if it is set right.

6. jozza800

jozza800 Thread Starter

whats the powerswitch cable? also not connecting this properly would this stop the processor and fan

7. jozza800

jozza800 Thread Starter

Aslo the jumpers u mention are they KBPWR and USBPWR these are for a keyboard and usb devices.

8. rugrat

rugrat

Just a thought, are you using a cpu fan that is connected to the three pin fan header on the motherboard? If you are using an old style cpu fan that hooks to the power supply, the board will not detect a fan and will not power up.

SeeYa

9. rugrat

rugrat

Also, ensure your power switch connector from the case is on the 4th set of connectors on the 20 pin block at the botttom right of the board with the positive lead toward the inside of the board. (page 32 in the manual)

10. jozza800

jozza800 Thread Starter

Ive fixed the problem, the power switch was put on the wrong way!!!!, now i have a new problem

When trying to boot up my hdd i get the following message;

'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or crrupt;

<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    please reinstall a copy of the above file'

I cant get into the bios by pressing DEL it just bypasses it and goes to the above message.

THe HDD has XP installed on it and worked ok on my previous MB. Although i remember having a similar problem when installing it the first time but cant remember how i solved it.

I have tried hooking up the CDdrive and put an Xp disc in it but still nothing.

Any more help would be grateful

thanx

11. n2gun

n2gun

First check your manual. Some bios's use another key to enter. With the 2000 xp booting so fast, start hitting the key as soon as you turn it on. I have to do it with mine to get into bios.

You may have to wipe the hard drive and reinstall xp as it will see several changes in hardware with the new drive including motherboard and cpu. Xp does not like a lot of chages. Not sure where I read it but it even checks the serial number of cpu.

If all else fails to get to bios unhook the hard drive until you get the bios set.

12. jozza800

jozza800 Thread Starter

Thanx everyone for your help. Ive figured it all out, i had to reformat my HD aslso i think there may be a faulty connector or something on my Mb cause every now and then it knocks of if you touch it. But it works none the less

cheers

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice