1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JamesEB, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamesEB

JamesEB Thread Starter

I am looking into buying a new PC and friends keep telling me I should make sure that it can play TV and that it is “HD”.

Can someone please tell me what features I need on a new PC to do these things as nobody is entirely clear.

Do new technology machines not do this anyway please?

Thanks very much
    JamesEB

2. dai

dai

hdmi socket on the video connection and a tv that lets computer connect to it by hdmi

some only allow computer connection though a vga port

3. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

1080p HD just means a resolution of 1920x1080. Any computer and any graphics card will give you this resolution. There are 3 types of output graphics card have.

• VGA (analogue)
    • DVI (digital)
    • HDMI (digital)
    It is preferable to connect by DVI or HDMI because the picture quality is better due to it being a digital signal, however VGA will also give you 1080p output (1920x1080) though the quality may be worse.

If you get a screen that has a DVI port, you just need a DVI-DVI cable to connect it to the DVI slot on your graphics card. Or an HDMI-HDMI cable if your graphics card has HDMI output. For a slightly worse picture, a VGA-VGA cable will connect your VGA port on your graphics card (if it has one) to your VGA slot on the screen (if it has one which is unlikely).

If you tell us what TV you have we can look up what connection ports it has on it.

4. JamesEB

JamesEB Thread Starter

Very many thanks for replies.

Sorry, I do not understand this at all and am not explaining it very well.

Apparently what was meant was playing TV with the PC and not using a TV at all.

Many thanks for help.

JamesEB

5. dai

dai

i am not sure now what you wish to do

if you wish to watch tv on the computer put in a tuner card in the computer

http://www.hauppauge.com/

6. JamesEB

JamesEB Thread Starter

Thanks.

I am buying a new PC (and monitor) and was advised that I should make sure that I can watch TV on the PC and that it is “HD” and conversely not buy a PC that would prevent me doing this

I am at a bit of a loss as I do not know anything about it.

I would be grateful if you could please tell me what I need to do in terms of a new pc and monitor to get the best result.

Thanks for the help.
    JamesEB

7. dai

dai

i use a hdtv as the monitor for the computer,you just need the tv antenna going into the tv

you switch between tv and pc on the tv remote control

8. Steelecyurs

Steelecyurs

I had an old HP Touchsmart with a TV Tuner. I doubt that's what your friends are talking about but a TV Tuner allows you to plug in a cable jack and watch TV on your computer like a regular TV screen (same channels, remote control, etc). HD just means that the screen you watch it on has a resolution of 720p or higher (recommended 1080p) given your computer can output those resolutions. I can't really think of any computer you would buy that can't output at least 720p unless you buy a Raspberry Pi, so you should be fine. You can always stream television shows on services like Netflix and Hulu Plus if your computer doesn't come with a TV Tuner.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice