New PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chobee

Hello there,

My current PC is on its last legs, and I've ordered a new super PC which will arrive on Wednesday.

I'm wondering if it's possible for me to remove the hard disk from this old machine, and connect it in the new machine (as slave) and be able to access all my files.

The current machine is FAT32, and is partitioned into two drives. The new machine will be NTFS. I know NTFS can access FAT32, but not vice versa (or something). Both run XP Pro.

I know how to connect the current hard disk into the new machine, but my questions are...

1. When running the new machine, what will I need to do inside BIOS / Windows to 'mount' the new disk, and will my files be accessible.

2. Will the fact that the current HD is partitioned be a problem, and will it continue to give me 2 drive letters when plugged into the new machine.

Thanks in advance,
Toby

Howdy there chobee...

1. When running the new machine, what will I need to do inside BIOS / Windows to 'mount' the new disk, and will my files be accessible.
It depends on the BIOS settings on the old pc, what I would do is on the old pc, go into the BIOS and record the settings for the hard drive, and when you get the new pc make them the same, and as to the files, if they are documents, and not programs you will be able to get to them...

2. Will the fact that the current HD is partitioned be a problem, and will it continue to give me 2 drive letters when plugged into the new machine.
No...it will not be a problem, and you will get 2 drive letters...

you could also just backup all your files to cd or laptop from old pc and restore them on the new one.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you get the drive jumpered properly, I see no reason why it won't work in the new machine. Obviously, it'll show up as two drive letters. You can assign whatever drive letters you like to it once you get it running with XP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online