New PCI express video card = problems from the word go

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Genovanelli

A friend of mine just got an Nvidia 6600 card to upgrade from the original ATI.
Can't tell you much about his PC since I haven't sat down in front of it and pooked around much but some things I can say are; His PC is less than a year old and he spent pretty good coin. I imagine it is still a pretty "up-to-date" pc. It has PCI express 16 slot.When he puts the card in the screen is filled with garbage from the second he turns it on. The computer is obviously booting up but the screen is displaying unreadable cr*p. If he puts his original back in there is no problem.
I know this is not a lot to go on but I will be heading later this weekend and was wondering if anyone had this same experience and could equip me with one ammo before I go. ie. are there any know issues/incompatabilities, etc?
thanks, and everyone have a happy 4th of July!

Without knowing more about the system, impossible to comment on the compatibility issue.

Some basic suggestions:
I guess the ATI card is PCIe also. Make sure that card (the ATI) is completely uninstalled including trying a driver cleaner. Here's one of them

Driver Cleaner

Also check that he has the latest motherboard chipset and NVidia drivers.

Genovanelli said:
A friend of mine just got an Nvidia 6600 card to upgrade from the original ATI.
Can't tell you much about his PC since I haven't sat down in front of it and pooked around much but some things I can say are; His PC is less than a year old and he spent pretty good coin. I imagine it is still a pretty "up-to-date" pc. It has PCI express 16 slot.When he puts the card in the screen is filled with garbage from the second he turns it on. The computer is obviously booting up but the screen is displaying unreadable cr*p. If he puts his original back in there is no problem.
I know this is not a lot to go on but I will be heading later this weekend and was wondering if anyone had this same experience and could equip me with one ammo before I go. ie. are there any know issues/incompatabilities, etc?
thanks, and everyone have a happy 4th of July!
and of course the card may be DOA

Triple6

Rob
It could very well be that the card is faulty. But make sure that if the video card requires an auxilory power connector that it is in fact connected and that the power supply isn't some cheap piece of crap.

Genovanelli

I guess the ATI card is PCIe also. Make sure that card (the ATI) is completely uninstalled including trying a driver cleaner. Here's one of them

But even if the drivers aren't uninstlled should the post screen be normal and not garbeled?

Just a thought?

Triple6

Rob
Genovanelli said:
But even if the drivers aren't uninstlled should the post screen be normal and not garbeled?
You're absolutely right.

Genovanelli

Oops

Back to summer school reading.

No problem, my fault, expecting you guys to solve a problem with such limited detail but I promise to let you know of the resolution if it comes about.

Thanks for the efforts!

hate to be a killjoy, but are you SURE it's a pci-e slot and not a plain old pci slot? (or even an agp slot)

Triple6

Rob
There is no PCI version of the Geforce 6600, and if it fits into the slot then the card and slot must be a match.

Triple6 said:
There is no PCI version of the Geforce 6600, and if it fits into the slot then the card and slot must be a match.
not if he used a hammer ;)

crjdriver

There should not be a power connector for that card [at least I have not seen one for a 6600 pci express card] I tend to think the card itself may be faulty. Some things to do before you rma the card.

Reinstall the ati card and use the ati tool for software removal. Reboot the system with the ati card still in place. Cancel any "Found new hardware wiz" Shutdown and swap cards. If you do not have a display now, I tend to think the card is defective. Note you should have at least a quality 400W ps for a card like that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online